Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
lymphocyte level

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

lymphocyte level

6 months ago I had a routine blood test and my lymphocytes came back at 769 ( range is 850-3900) % was 14.5, but was not tagged as abnormal. ( range is 15-50)...all other values of the CBC were smack in the middle,normal... ( ABC 5.3) I had a repeat test last week, starting a new job and they did a CBC w/diff...Lymphocytes were 720...% 14.5 and WBC 5.6, everything else absolutely normal.

I feel perfectly fine..I run 3-4 miles 3-4 X/week, no weight loss, no decreased appetite, no fevers, no night sweats, no rash, no itching, no lumps, no sweeling, no pains,no SOB, no chest pain....nothing...if I didn't have that repeat blood test, I would just be going about my day as if nothing unusual.
I've been tested for HIV,& Hepatitis, ( I'm in the medical field-it's part of the pre-employment) all negative

However, now I'm in a bit of a panic over it.

My MD said to wait until my next annual for a lymphocyte panel, I mentioned it to my GYN at my exam last week, and she said call a hematologist just to have it checked out...So I did and he said to come in , that he didn't suspect it would be anything, but that I shoudl have a work up to put our minds at ease.

Can you give me some insight on this?

Of course, the only thing that I am fearful of is some sort of cancer, lymphoma, Hodgkins etc...

1. if it were something bad like that, wouldn't I have had some sort of symptoms by now?( they've been low for 6 months now)
2. do low lymphocytes always mean cancer?
3. can you give me an idea if some other things that it could be?
4. is it possible that is could just be my normal now?? They were never this low, in the past the number were in the thousands, 1100, 1000, 1400...

Thank you for your thoughts on this...it's 2 weeks until the hematologist appointment, and I feel a little freaked out over the whole cancer thing.

To answer your questions:
1) The lymphocyte level is only minimally abnormal, and a variety of conditions can lead to this.  Some of these are minor and may not present with immediate symptoms.

2) Not necessarily.  

3) Infection, HIV, and leukemia would be the major causes to rule out.

4) Repeating the blood count is indeed recommended.  If the results continue to be abnormal, seeing a hematologist is recommended.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
1 Comment
A related discussion, Low lymphocytes - 8.6%, low absolute lymphocytes - 600 was started.