Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
marks/bruises that don't heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

marks/bruises that don't heal

I had a bruise about 3 months ago that just won't quite go away.  It is very pale but still visible.  I have also noticed that acne marks are leaving dark marks on my face, and also a scrape on the back of my ankle from a high heal shoe won't heal.  I am a 47 year old female.  Is this just an age thing?

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Generally such wounds/bruises that do not heal are called non-healing ulcers in medical term. They could be non healing due to underlying infection, low supply of oxygen to the wound that is reducing the healing process, underlying diabetes, or due to underlying dermatitis. Wounds heal slower in smokers or alcoholics who have been drinking for a long time. So these have to be ruled out.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
Here is an article I found. I sure hope your not becoming a diabetic but it sure sounds possible. It is probably a good idea to see your doctor for testing.
Important Diabetic information  
Written by Dr Rajesh Kesari MD    
Cut & Bruises
None of us is spared from small cuts and bruises, which may happen from time to time. Usually these minor injuries heal quickly by themselves, but in Diabetics they might poses a serious problem. Specially if blood glucose is uncontrolled and the injured part is the foot. Feet are at the farthest point from heart which is pumping fresh oxygenated blood, as a result the blood supply to feet may not have that much reserve, moreover due to long standing diabetes, blood vessels supplying the feet may get obstructed ( clogged). Another important factor is the nerves supplying the feet- as a complication of Diabetes called Diabetic neuropathy certain nerves get affected and do not perform theie function properly. Wherever theres and increased demand for blood, the blood vessels dialate and the afected part gets more blood - as may happen in the process of healing, nerves together with other chemical factors play a very important role in this.
Uncontrolled Blood glucose may adversely affect the immune system which is fighting the germs who have contaminated the wound, as a result healing is delayed.

If you are a diabetic:
Be careful and try to avoid such activities where you may get hurt or bruised.
If you do ever get hurt, wash the affected area with clean water and an antiseptic solution.
Apply antiseptic dressing / cream.
If the cut/ bruise does not heal quickly, have your Blood Sugar checked and consult your doctor.