microcytic anemia with normal iron levels
So I am new here and was trying to respond to a prev poster but couldn't figure out how... They say I have Microcytic Anemia yet I have normal iron levels. I take iron everyday and most (or quit a few) day still feel really anemic. Is the iron helping does anyone know why this would be TIA
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, iron deficiency is the commonest cause of microcytic anemia. But since you have normal iron levels, there has to be some other cause for this. Other causes of microcytic anemia include thalasemmia, sideroblastic anemia (where bone marrow forms sideroblasts instead of red blood cells), pyridoxine deficiency, or even due to chronic illness.
You need to consult a hematologist, and get tests done to rule out all these causes.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Hi, MrsTat13. I understand what you are going through. My relative who is black was found to have small red blood cells. At one point, when she was young, they thought it was sickle cell until they did the test and found it to be negative. She was carrying the sickle cell trait though. She has all the symptoms of an anemic, but with normal iron levels. Iron was not helping her either. I think that the blood cells are too small to carry the oxygen and the reserve of iron is normal because it was enough for her small red blood cells.  I do not think there's a lot of research about this because it does affect a very small population.  I can say that it makes sense to me though because with sickle cell the red blood cells are sickled and abnormal. For microcytia anemia, the red blood cells are small and considered abnormal. I think that a person carrying the sickle cell trait, but not the disease, would be prone to having microcytia.  My relative lives a normal life and has never taken iron a day in her life. Are you carrying the sickle cell trait? If you do not know, its definitely best to find out. You can go to a normal doctor and they can let you know this info.
Also, just so you know the sickle cell trait is not the disease, it only means that your have one of the sickle cell abnormal genes, but does not display the severe symptoms of the disease. It also means that you can potentially pass the disease or the trait to your child. It primarily affects people of African descent. Go to the doctor and ask questions.
I'm getting retested I'll keep you guys posted!
Microcytic anaemia - MCV below normal range

MCV is decreased in:

Copper deficiency
Low stomach acid (Hypochlorhydria)
Vitamin C insufficiency
Vitamin B6 deficiency
Rheumatoid arthritis
Toxic effects of lead and other toxic elements
Hereditary (thalassemias, sideroblastic)
Iron deficiency (blood loss, parasites, poor intake, low stomach acid, etc)
After a splenectomy
Haemolytic anaemia
Myeloma

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/blood_cell_counts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcytic_anemia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolytic_anemia
Ok so they told me that I have the Beta Thalassemia trait. Any one know about it? Though it's just the trait is that still minor? They say I shouldn't have any symptoms, so what... Are all my symptoms from my anemia? (BTM is what is causing my anemia) I hear I should NOT be taking iron supplements. What are you thoughts
TIA