Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
mmr vaccine result: measles!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

mmr vaccine result: measles!

Siblings had measles, parents unsure if I did at time. So I was given "cold/dead" measles vaccine 1967, given measles booster ~1994, given MMR 2006 at employers insistance. Now I have the measles. Has anyone else experienced this? And is it possible to have mumps and measles at the same time? The internet pictures of both rashes look the same. Beware of MMR!
Measels in adults can be very serious.  If you think you have them, see your doctor asap.
"A number of adverse effects are reported including: a rash or slight fever for a few days, one to two weeks after receiving the vaccine, occasionally accompanied by a mild swelling of the salivary glands and some aching or swelling of the joints, respectively from the measles, mumps and rubella components, which have differing incubation periods. They are usually mild and temporary, vanishing within a few days. There are rare reports of more serious reactions
See a doctor isnt as easy as it used to be unless you use ER's for primary care. I read all the precautions of the vaccine, including assurances you could get the vaccine multiple times and it wouldn't harm you. I also read about being a danger to others if sick...

Day 7-two tender goose eggs on back of skull high up-not in the base of the skull/neck region, not behind/below the ears which was the area mentioned for normal reactions. No reaction at injection site which no longer could see.
Day 11 blotchy face which slowly progressed to spotted neck and then upper chest and then breasts and then upper abdomen etc.

Day 13 thousands of red spots covering body, front and back, more torso than limbs, but all over. One inch round red spot on injection site. More flat than bumps-floating like.

I am not in great distress, other than worrying about excuse from work/release to work form.
Years ago, there was a push on to vaccinate anyone born in 1957 or later, as they "probably" didn't have immunity to measles. (this was a random cut off, when the prevailance of measles dropped in the US). I had the measles when I was a little girl, prevailance or not.  I was quite ill, and my parents told me the story over and over.

The EHS wouldn't budge.  If I was born in 1957, I WOULD have to take the vaccine, or not come back to work.  They would not pay to have a titer drawn to prove or disprove immunity.  Finally, I took the d**n consent form and wrote all over it, stating that if I had any adverse reaction I would hold the hospital and the EHS responsible for any and all health care costs, time lost from work, and pain/suffering.  That I was taking it against my will, and upon threat of loss of my job.

Once the nurse read my little statement, she refused to vaccinate me.  She decided that a titer would be good enough.  I was immune.  No measles vaccine for me.

Good luck!
Thanks, I called the health service. They really just dont see how it could be related, but the timing is certainly coincidental, and have I considered going to see a dermatologist? Finally, they said they would look at me tomorrow.

I am pretty sure they are crossing their fingers that after 4days rash will be gone hence the delay. It probably will be-everything I read indicates rash lasts 4days whether its a reaction or the actual disease.

In my eyes, neither I, nor my health insurance company, should have to pay one penny to ascertain what happened to me. If you are going to make an injection mandatory for an employee, and you are administering it to them while at work, you should be willing and indeed obligated to do followup.

Now if they would just let me rewrite the contraindications/reactions sheet. Apparently I am the rare 1 in 100,000. I was also the rare 1 in 100,000 with a flu shot 9yrs ago.
Go to an Urgent Care place, if you don't have a regular doctor.  Or, if the employee health service insisted on the MMR, call them asap!  At the very least, they will have a nurse who can direct you as to your next step.  For goodness sake, this doesn't sound right!
I loved your story-I felt like a criminal today waiting to be seen. Sad commentary on healthcare and employers today. My motive was of the purest-to know what the rash was, and ensure I was not endangering the pregnant public being at work, plus I looked like godzilla :-)

My medical and dental records for 25years amount to 1.5inches of paper-so I am not a hypochondriac. I have ~1400hrs of vac/sick leave accrued, so I am not a malingering employee, either.

My sister and brother had measles when I was a baby. My sister (6) was ill with such a high fever that afterwards she had to wear glasses and she had dramatic loss of IQ and physical coordination. My parents were not sure if I had the measles also because I was so young.

I still had the rash today, though its color intensity has faded considerably since 4days ago. Digital photos don't really pick it up at this late stage though it is still clearly visible to the naked eye...(what ever happened to a keen interest in the science of things-you would think they would be excited to get photos when it was at its zenith) but the good news is they say it is not an allergic reaction.

I'm told I have a weakened viral measles infection, similar to what children get with the measles vaccine, but apparently exceedingly rare in the adult, with a suspicion of unexplained immunocompromise.
Hope it goes away soon.