Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
morning stiffness/soreness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

morning stiffness/soreness

This is my 1st post & I’m hoping maybe someone can just shed a little light on my problem, or let me know I’m not the only one going through this. I have not been to the doctors as of yet, but I do have an appt.  in a couple of weeks scheduled. & thrust me, for me to finally break down & make an appt. to see a doctor, that’s a huge deal…..

Anyways, let me start by saying that I’m a healthy, in shape, 40 year old & have always been active. I usually work out 3-5 times a week doing different activities (running, biking, yoga, weights, etc.) & have maintained this schedule for the past few years.

But in the past 3 months, the morning soreness/stiffness is an every day presence & the level of soreness/stiffness is unlike anything I’ve come across even on my most strenuous workout days.  & I remain sore/stiff throughout the day, whereas before, it would work itself out after a good morning stretch.

I was never an ibuprofen taker & now I find myself taking them before I even attempt to get out of bed.

Everyone I talk to just says, “that’s what happens when you get older”, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. I have stopped working out (going on 2 weeks now) to see if that helps & it has not. I do understand that your body can get stiff while sleeping, but again, this is not like anything I’ve ever experienced. Even the bottom of my feet are so sore that it hurts to walk on them until the ibuprofen can start to kick in.

Anyways, like I said, if anyone can shed some light on this for me I’d much appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,
Karen
Tags: morning soreness, morning stiffness, joint stiffness
Avatar_dr_f_tn
In a young woman experiencing a lot of morning stiffness, I'd be concerned about a rheumatologic disease, like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. It's hard to make a diagnosis like that without seeing you, looking for other signs like rash, and doing a physical exam and some blood work. It would certainly be workwhile to see your local doctor for an opinion.
Well as you know that over exercising can make you feel sore and stiff.  But you are used to exercise.

It is likely that you have arthritic changes going on in your body and it is a good idea for you to see the doctor so that he diagnose which type of arthritis you have.  Osteoarthritis is the most common one.  

As the bottom of your feet are sore, this may be due to inflamed tendons, by overuse.  In fact I damaged my foot tendon using the treadmill and couldn't walk on my foot for 9 months.

Take care with Ibuprofen as this can damage the stomach.  Make sure you eat something before you take it.  Sometimes the doctor will prescribe a stomach medication to protect the lining of the stomach before taking the Ibuprofen.  Some people also get an adverse reaction to it.

There are lots of different herbal anti-inflammatories available as well as cod liver oil and other joint supplements.  It's a question of finding one that suits you.  

Make sure that you drink plenty of water.