Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
mycotoxin poisoning?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

mycotoxin poisoning?

between September and January I have eaten popcorn, that turned out to be infected by mycotoxins – Fumonisin B1 and B2.

Since February I have hypersensitive skin – mechanical stimuli (touching, rubbing) make skin all over my body red and itchy. I also have foreign body sensation in throat (often at night or after eating).

Tests for: inhalant allergens, Celiac, HBV and HCV are negative.

Here is part of my latest blood tests results:

AST- 23 U/L ( < 32 ) (in April was 64 U/L)
ALT- 26 U/L ( < 33 ) (in April was 107 U/L)
GGTP- 37 U/L ( 6 – 37 ) (in April was 42 U/L)

WBC- 3.5 10 x 9/L ( 4 – 10.2 ) - TOO LOW
NEU%- 53.4% ( 37 – 70 )
LYM%- 34% ( 20 – 50 )
MONO%-  9.4% ( 0 – 12 )
EOS%- 2% ( 0 –7 )
BASO%- 0.9% ( 0 – 2,5 )
NEU (absolute)- 1.87 10 x 9/L ( 2 – 6.9 ) - TOO LOW
LYM (absolute)- 1.19 10 x 9/L ( 0.6  – 3.4 )
MONO (absolute)- 0.33 10 x 9/L ( 0 – 0.9 )
EOS (absolute)- 0.07 10 x 9/L (  0 – 0.7 )
BASO (absolute)- 0.03 10 x 9/L ( 0 – 0.2 )

Platelets- 159 10 x 9/L ( 140 – 420 )
MPV- 12.1 fl ( 9.4 – 12.5 )
PCT- 0.19% ( 0.16 – 0.36 )
PDW- 15.1 fl ( 9.8 – 16.1 )
P– LCR- 41.9% ( 15 – 35 ) ­- TOO HIGH

IgE- 142.6 lU/ml ( < 100 ) ­- TOO HIGH
IgA- 193 mg/dL ( 70 – 400 )
IgG- 1227 mg/dL ( 700 – 1600 )
IgM- 160 mg/dL ( 40 – 230 )

BIL–T- 1.05 mg/dL ( < 1.2 )
BIL–D- 0.37 mg/dL ( < 0.3 ) ­- TOO HIGH

Any advice will be helpfull. Thank you!
   Ok, Margaret,  I did some research on mycotoxins.  
Seems you can kill them/it with good Vitamin C.
     Vitamin C is available in a powdered form at the health food store.  This is the kind you need - Vit. C in tablet form just won't do to detox.  You can take it later if you wish.
        You would need to sprinkle Vit. C powder on almost everything you eat for at least two weeks to detoxify your liver and kidneys.
        Thereafter, be very careful not to eat anything slightly moldy - no dry cereals, and eat very fresh bread only.  No potatoes from a box - and when you eat potatoes be sure to cut the green part off.  When you eat fruit, cut off the soft parts - that brown soft spot on the apple is mold.
      I hope this information was helpful.... I'm going to take some mega doses of Vitamin C myself!!
     Let me start by saying that I feel for you... how terrible to get sick from eating popcorn!!  Could happen to any of us!  
     Since mycotoxin is a sort of fungal infection, I would try whatever fungal remedy there is, including the ones for candida.  What did your doctor prescribe?  Is it helping any?   Most of us have never heard of this type of illness.  It is scary to find that any one of us can be sickened in this way!!!
       At present, I cannot think of anything that would help... please give me some time to research this.  
     Just want you to know that we, in this forum care a great deal for those who post on here.  That is why we are here to offer support and help in any way we can.
Thank you very much for your support, it means a lot to me.

My doctor prescribed me Polprazol (because of reflux suspicion), liver-protective drugs and antihistamines - nothing has helped. I decided to take Silybum marianum - maybe that has improved my liver.

I'm not even sure if my symptoms are related to mycotoxins or it's a coincidence. Therefore it's hard to find a cure.
    I take Silymarin - is that the same thing?  It's also known as Milk Thistle.  I take it for my liver, too.  I have iron overload disease (hemochromatosis) and it seems to help with the pain.

Did the doctor say you had a fungal infection of sorts?  they are so hard to cure!   I was diagnosed with Lichen Planus years ago and thought it was gone - but read up on it and found that it NEVER goes away.  It's a type of fungal infection - it goes dormant though.

I hope you find out what your problem is and better yet, that the doctor can help you resolve it!
Wishing you the best...
      I looked up proprazol and find that it's basically the same as omeprazole (Prilosec).   It didn't help my stomach much, so the doctor prescribed Dexilant.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I didn’t have internet access.

You’re right, Silybum marianum = Silymarin. I’m sorry to hear that you’re also struggling with liver problems, wish you a lot of health!

You asked me if the doctor said I had a fungal infection of sorts - unfortunately, doctors can't diagnose me.

Thank you very much for your time, your information is very useful. I didn’t know about the Vitamin C in powder. I think also that detox is the best thing I can do. I will definitely try it!
     I am sorry that the doctors can't diagnose you.  It seems that the new diseases of today are cropping up faster than the doctors can learn about them!  
     They do have prescription anti-fungals such as diflucan and others.  I don't know how well they work.  I often end up at the health food store because I am allergic to most drugs.
      I sincerely hope the Vitamin C works for you... I need to try it too.
       Wishing you the best...