Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
neck pain

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

neck pain

My neck hurts so bad, it hurts to touch the area from behind my ear to my collar bone.  The pain goes vertical, sometimes pulses and if I try to raise my head, nost to ceiling, the pain is unbearable.  I have c4-5-6 bulging discs, but this pain feels different.  the pain along underneath the bony part of my skull on the right side. seems to follow the carotid artery, in the morning it is a struggle to lift my head off of the pillow.  Any ideas?

This discussion is related to Pain in right neck carotid artery.
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
In all probability this is neck stiffness due to wrong sleeping posture. Other than that it can be occipital neuralgia which results from compression of higher cervical vertebral nerves. It can also be due to an inflamed carotid artery or jugular vein.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage without examining.  Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper investigations and referral. Hope this helps. Take care!
I completely understand what you are Going through, when mine started in May 2010 I thought I was crazy. I had memory loss,swollen lymph node In neck , severe sharp pains in ear, and it felt like when I moved my neck it was going to explode. I could not stand to move or cannot touch my neck all the way back to my head/ neck at the base of my spine. Sharp pains from chest and down arm, totally excruciating. I will pray for all with this pain, would not wish this on my enemy. I was told it was subclavian steal syndrome at first, which the diagnosis ended up being Behcets syndrome,I hope just that. They are still diagnosing me, if I hear anything I'll let everyone know.