neck pain
i am having sharp pains in the upper left side of my neck, what could be the cause

Without examination,confirming a diagnosis is tough but it looks like a spasm of sternocleidomastoid muscle which can be as a result of strain of the muscle.This muscle helps in inspiration and so if there is any spasm of this muscle ,then it can cause pain during inspiration also.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen or diclofenac.Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help.Also try not to take a high pillow during sleep.Instead take a thin pillow.If the symptoms persist then cervical spondolysis has to be probed.An X-ray or  CT/MRI neck will help in confirming the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.