numbness/tingling/pain in extremities & painful joints
hi everyone,

hoping someone can offer some theories as to what i have.  9 months ago i noticed carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms in my right hand that quickly spread to my left.  soon thereafter, the same kind of numbness/tingling/flushed feelings spread to my lower legs and feet.  ive been having these sensations for the last 9 months and it has made sleeping/working very arduous.  i got on a anti-anxiety drug (lexapro) for a while but that only took some of the edge off so i got of it.  im now back on just to see if i need more time.

additionally, my joints are very sore/inflamed after mild exercise, particularly wrists and knees.  ive had some bloodwork done but it came back okay.  i also have had long-term lower back pain from when i used to work out and injured it doing squats.  my lower back pain is pretty continual.  im pretty sure i do have carpal tunnel but that doesnt explain similar symptoms in my lower legs.

lastly, i started taking magnesium and vitamin d supplements as i read that deficiencies in these vitamins can cause similar symptoms.  anyone have any ideas?  thanks!
Thanks for writing to the forum!
The sensations of pins and tingling are generally due to peripheral neuropathies. Hence peripheral vascular pathologies have to be ruled out either by angiograms or by dopplar studies. Hypoparathyroidism too should be looked into apart from hypothyroidism and diabetes. I know the last two have been looked into, but do get a thyroid antibody test too.
Neck strain, spondylotic changes in cervical vertebrae, bone disease or bad posture should be looked into. Multiple sclerosis and G B Syndrome are two other possibilities. Nerve infections as in lyme’s disease too should be investigated. Please read more about it on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia
Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency too should be looked into.
There are various causes of multiple joint pains like osteoarthritis, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatic pathology, thyroid problems etc. It is difficult to comment without examination. You can read more about this on: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030915/1151.html
Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor. Do consult an orthopedic specialist too.It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

thanks for the feedback, doctornee.  much appreciated  does the typical doctor not do a thorough blood workup?  i had bloodworkup done last year and it came back "normal".  however, i saw a neurologist recently and they wanted to look at b-12 and thyroid so they did another blood draw and both those came back normal also.  i had thought spinal stenosis could be a problem but a previous doctor gave me an oral antibiotic and ruled that out.  i found out later that oral antibiotics are not a good way to assess whether or not spinal stenosis is an issue.  i just find it very odd that all of these things happened so quickly (overnight really).  i had been going through tremendous stress at the onset of the symptoms -- family business failing, unemployment, crazy long distance relationship -- so is it possible/likely that all of these sympoms are connected to anxiety/stress?  i dont FEEL stressed so much anymore.  im obvioulsy concerned about MS and really bad conditions like that.  thanks again...
What does your tingling/numbness feel like and where exactly is it located?

I have noticed this on me lately--sometimes my hands (usually my hands but has been my feet occasionally) feel like they are falling asleep...the pins and needles feeeling...they tingle and get numb, and my fingers all sort of come together (I guess some kind of muscle spasm). I am not laying on them or anything like that (like when your hand will fall asleep if you sleep on it.) It's just random times. I could be typing here at my computer and it would happen.

Also, I've had pretty severe joint pain, fatigue, muscle aches, and a few other symptoms. They aren't sure what's wrong with me either. Did you get your ANA tested?
what is ANA?  my tingling sensation can vary from pure numbness/pins-n-needles when im sleeping to cramping/burning, especially in my hands when typing (im pretty confident i DO have carpal tunnel) and in my feet (bottom) and lower legs.  my joints will ache in the wrist and knees (after brisk walking).
Antinuclear Antibody test
it is used to help diagnose autoimmune disorders, mostly lupus (which can cause some of your symptoms) it is also used for other autoimmune disorders too though
okay, thanks.  i guess ill have to look into that.  i really dont like the idea of having an autoimmune issue!!!  but that probably goes without saying :-)
A related discussion, diabetic was started.
I have the exact same pain and numbness but I started having this after I had the haunta virus and almost died from the complications. I had steriod myopathy but now im dealing with this on a daily basis. I endured long strenuous physical therapy and im on neurontin,flexeril,lortab and ibuprofen do you have any ideas?????