odd smells and cancer
is it true that people w/cancer can smell smoke or other odd odors?  i know cancer treatments can cause a change in senses, but i am referring to this as a symptom of cancer.
Never heard of smells associated with having cancer but my hubby has these since his chemo. In particular oranges are his usual smell!!!
I have no idea what the origin of this question is, but it is also a known phenomenon for patients with neurological disorder(s) to smell odd smells.
Yes. There is a special smell emating from the skin associated with some cancers, and in an experimental study, dogs were trained to recognize the smell in an effort to provide inexpensive screening.
What is the special smell???
A couple of months ago, I had this sensation of smelling what seemed like a musty, smokey kind of smell, almost like the faint lingering smell of cigarette smoke that you get in some hotel rooms. But I smelt it almost all the time, where ever I was. I tried to find information on the Internet to see if anyone else experienced the same thing, but found nothing until now.

About the same time I began having this smelling sensation, I developed swollen lymph nodes in my neck, and am now scheduled for a biopsy. If there is any truth to this theory, I guess I know what the out come will be. :(
I have been having the symptom of smelling smoke to the extent of feeling like I am in a smoke filled room (no one in our house smokes). I was recently diagnosed as having two herniated disk which are presses on some nerves. I don't know if this is what is causing the smells or not. I have asked several doctors including a neurologist,but no one will give me an answer.
This is blowing me away!!!!!!!!!!
I have been smelling smoke,....like maybe someone is burning paper or something. I even asked someone today if they smelled it, cuz it was so strong. They didnt notice anything.
Funny, cuz lately my wrist and thumb area constantly feel like someone is putting a hot iron real close to my skin. If I move it a certain way, I have a knee-jerk reaction from the Hot-pain that mimics being burned.
Its been awful, but I dont like telling people this, for fear they will think Im some kinda nut.(I could be, but it still hurts, LOL)
A related discussion, odors was started.
A related discussion, Strange smell, only I can smell was started.