on going fever in my 7 year old
My 7 year old has had fever off and on for two weeks now. It mainly comes at night, as high as 104 degrees. Then in the day time he is fine. He has vomited once. But he also has these "tiny headaches". They last for about 5 seconds and then they are gone. Its always on the right side of his head. One time when his fever was 102, he said it felt like he had a brainquake, like his brain was shaking?
He has always had slow speech, don't know if this has anything to do with it but any ideas?

In my opinion, your son should be seen by a pediatrician right away. The main causes of fever in children are bacterial or viral infections and specific treatment is required for that.

Fever has traditionally been defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4°F or 38.0°C.It is not life-threatening unless it is extremely and persistently high, such as greater than 107°F (41.6°C) when measured rectally.
It is important to rule out serious causes of fever like meningitis,pneumonia,typhoid and malaria.To rule them out you need specific investigations.

If it is a bacterial infection then it can be confirmed by complete blood count (CBC) and blood culture tests. Specific antibiotics are then prescribed for the infection. Sometimes urine analysis (if suspecting UTI),peripheral blood film(for malarial parasite),widal test(for typhoid),x-ray chest(for pneumonia) and lumbar puncture are required (if suspecting meningitis).

Till the time when you take your child to the doctor,pls maintain the hydration/fluid electrolyte level of the child by ORS or by juices or drinks which the child likes(except carbonated drinks).Maintain  temperature charting and pls do not give aspirin as it can cause Rye’s syndrome. You can give acetaminophen(Tylenol)or ibuprofen(motrin).

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how yopur son is doing.