one ankle swollen more than the other - venous insufficiency or something else?
I noticed a week ago in the evening that my left ankle looked a little swollen.  It could’ve been that way for a long time, it’s just that I hadn’t noticed it before. Since that day I’ve been paying much closer attention to both my ankles and I can definitely say that my left ankle swells up more than the right. They’re both slightly smaller first thing in the morning and by evening the left one is definitely much puffier than the right. If I press real hard on them they leave a dent. Went to my primary doctor a couple of days ago and he disregarded water retention saying pressing on it does not leave a dent…..but it definitely does, he did not press hard enough I think. My socks leave rings around my ankles even first thing in the morning (so maybe I’m swollen all the time?) I can also say that the swelling definitely does not go down completely after a full night’s rest as the left ankle is still puffier than the right in the morning.
My question is could this be caused by heart issues? If one ankle swells up more than the other could it be something else like venous insufficiency or gout? I don’t have varicose veins but my mom does and ever since I can remember she’s had them.
Since my primary care doctor couldn’t tell what it was and didn’t recommend any tests, I saw a podiatrist today thinking it could be something specific to my ankles. He took one look and told me I need to see a vascular doctor or a cardiologist. He said it could be venous insufficiency.
Anyone have any ideas? Someone’s advice is appreciated
I've had a heart attack in 2009 and several days before...maybe even a week, I noticed very swollen ankles.

It could be some clot....I'd see someone like a cardio doc, you don't want to go through a heart attack or even worse a clot going to your heart, brain or lungs.

Jaw pains....coughing....tightness in arms....swollen ankles are signs of CAD.

Be safe and have someone that is a specialist check you out.

Good luck to you!