Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
pain and burning at base of toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

pain and burning at base of toes

I am looking for direction to find help with my foot problem. The onset was sudden on one foot and then a year or two later the other. One day I put my shoe on and if felt like my sock was pushed up under my toes. It did not hurt, just felt weird. As time went on the other foot did the same thing. It has now progressed to pain and burning when I have shoes on and am on a hard surface. It is not as bad with shoes off. After a few hours on my feet it feels like pebbles under my toes and the burning increases.
I have been to a podiatrist. He sent me for nerve conduction studies. These did not show any nerve problems. The podiatrist felt it was a neuroma. He started injections which began to numb my toes but the pain and burnig did not resolve so I discontinued the injections. I consulted another podiatrist. He suggested the same treatment. I am looking for someone who might have had the same problem and found some resolution to the problem.
Thank you.
It's difficult to comment, but you have classical symptoms of diabetic neuropathy and require a diabetic screen and an hba1c test.

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, it is quite possible that you have diabetic neuropathy so a complete screening for this should be done as advised by Caregiver. The other possibility is plantar fasciitis, even though this is not a typical presentation. High blood pressure and over weight too can cause these feelings. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do discuss this with your podiatrist.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for the response. There is no diabetics in our family. I have an annual physical including blood screening and there has been nothing to indicate I am diabetic.
Thanks for your comments. I do not believe I am diabetic. I have an annual physical including blood screening. I am in fairly good shape. There are no diabetics in our family.
Can you tell me more about planter fascitis and the treatment for this? Do you think I need to see a specialist?