Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
pain in hip-groin area- seems to feel like it goes down my left leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have severe pain in my left hip-groin area ( more towards the pelvic area. I can feel the pain when I am just siting around, but its not extreme. However, when I start walking around it starts to hurt. Not everystep hurts, but just about every single step. When my left leg goes back it hurts. When I go to sit down and stand up it hurts. 9/10 pain. very sharp, stabbing pain. when I am lying down and move my body to a certain position it hurts. It doest hurt when I cough, and my PA was feeling around down there and didnt feel anything pop or move around. When I was getting xrays done....the lady had me lay down and drop my left leg to its side and it was extremely hurt. Do you have any ideas on what is wrong? My PA was sure what was wrong. Thank you

Tags: hip, groin, leg

There are a few possibilities for your symptoms.It can be due to sciatica, arthritis(osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis),trochanteric bursitis(Inflammation of the sacs or space around the joint), Tendinitis from repetitive or strenuous activity, strain or sprain of the muscles due to its overuse or infection of the hip joint leading to necrosis. Since it is sharp stabbing pain,so chances of sciatica are more.

Without physical examination it is very difficult to make a diagnosis.
I feel that you should consult an orthopedician and get yourself thoroughly examined and investigated.Till then,apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory analgesic(pain reliever)like ibuprofen.Apply some muscle relaxant cream on the part.It will help.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

I have almost the same symptoms. Left groin,hip,thigh,knee pain. The pain seems to go all the way down to my knee. When I try to get up from sitting down and the first few steps I get the sharp pain. After several tests, I have just been told I need a hip replacement. The doctor told me that groin pain is common with hip problems.