pain on the right side of body just below rib cage
i have pain just below rib cage on right side have had this pain for the last 3 years my md had ordered tests ultasound blood tests etc and everything has come back normal i have 5 herniated discs in my back and my md has me on pain pills which i take twice a day i have regular at least i think its regular bowel movements once a day everyday any advice as to what i might be dealing with no one can give me a straight answer saying everything is normal but i hate to break it to them pain is not normal?
wow thats crazy about 4 days ago i have started the pain ride side about right under boob. i went to the doctor and they said it was should me pulling a muscle? she gave me medicine for it. i almos went bc last thursday i just found out im 6 weeks preg. i was worried it had to do something with pregnancy but the doctor ddidnt mention anything about that. he talked about everything sepretally. i would like to know if u know of anything different!
right
i agree pain is not normal is always means something is wrong. the reason your in pain is because of your herniated discs. if the pain pills arent helping with the pain tell your dr. you need to be on a higher dose of pain med to aleviate the pain.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If the pain is on the outside, it can be costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way.
If you have pain under your right rib then there could be a liver infection, pancreatitis, or a gall bladder problem. Get a liver function test, ultrasound or CT of abdomen, and pancreatic enzymes. It can also be due to acidity and duodenal ulcer. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. Pain under right ribs with gas can be due to any inflammatory bowel disease like Celiac or Crohn’s, IBS or due to food intolerance. Pain under right rib case can also be due to pleurisy, asthma, or any other lung problems. Usually this is accompanied by lung related symptoms like breathlessness, cough etc. If all these are ruled out, then laparoscopy should be done, especially if you have a previous history of any abdominal or pelvic surgery. Such an undiagnosed pain is usually due to adhesions and cutting the adhesions takes care of the pain. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!
A related discussion, Intermitten Sharp Dibilitating pain about 2 inches below right rib cage was started.