Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
pain shoots up my arms into my back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

pain shoots up my arms into my back

every couple of days i get a shoooting pain in both arms it travels up my arms across my shoulders and between the shoulder blades it lasts for a minuite or so and truns my stomach making me feel sick, whats wrong with me
Hi, This could be heaps of things you may of pulled a muscle? I hope you go to the doctor soon. Anything that creates that much pain should be investigated. Sorry couldn't be much more help. Hope it all works out for you. Good luck
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
One possibility is Scalene Myofascial Pain Syndrome. When scalene muscle is the cause of pain, the pain is referred to (either all or a combination of) chest, inner lining of scapula (shoulder bone), shoulder, posterior and lateral sides of the arm right up to the thumb and index finger. When this muscle shortens, this can press on brachial plexus (bundle of nerves and blood vessels in the armpit) and the subclavian artery and can compress or irritate these structures and cause symptoms such as abnormal sensation, cold extremity, spasms of pain, and lymphedema (swelling of lymph channels causing swelling of arm or leg) in the involved extremity.
The other possibility is compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!