passing out and nausea
My daughter is 15 and has been having episodes of passing out with seizure like symptoms, she will make a gurgling sound with the mouth, get somewhat stiff and shake. She tends to feel nausea first... this happens anytime during the day about 1-3 times a year. She has been thru test and doctors have found nothing wrong with her. Help I need answers...
Definitely get a second opinion.. never hurts to see what someone else can't, and it sounds pretty serious to me, sorry i couldn't help much more. Good luck to you and your daughter! Sincerely, Elizabeth
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What your daughter probably suffers from is probably a vasovagal syncope or a vasovagal attack. The complex group of symptoms are mediated by the vagus nerve. This nerve is irritated by prolonged standing, standing up suddenly, stress, pain, hunger, dehydration, intense emotion etc. A tilt table test, holter monitor, echocardiogram etc are done for confirmed diagnosis.
The other possibility is severe acidity with GERD. Normal GERD will not cause dizziness if under control. However a person with severe uncontrolled acidity or when such a person is hungry or his stomach is empty except for the acid, he may feel dizzy. The reverse flow of contents of the stomach cause a series of neurochemical transmissions, which cause dizziness. It is also related to changing pressure in the cochlear canals of the ear during this process. Discuss this with your doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for your response. The cardiologist did an evaluation on her and determined not to give her an echo or tilt test. Her neurologist, pediatrician and cardiologist did recommend a 24-48 hr EEG. They want to rule out seizures. I hope it is Vasovagal. She was ill the other day with feeling nausea and very dizzy but did not pass out this time. I feel she might be getting nervous or stressed and triggers this to happen some how. Although that last time she passed out was at 3am in the morning she woke up sick to her stomach felt like throwing up and passed out, hit the floor really hard, but then she could of triggered this to happen by getting nervous because she did feel sick. *sigh* I sure dnt want her to end up being on meds for the rest of her life.

One more question when ppl have these Vasovagal attacks do they end up having seizure like symtoms like when passing out?? The gurgling noise from the mouth, the tightness of her arms. The neurologist says these types of movements, sounds etc do happen with ppl have seizures. I saw on TV once though this lady was getting her lips done to be made more fuller and when they were doing the injection to her lips to numb them up she actually passed out in the chair because she was so nervous and made somewhat the same noise and also had the tightness with her arms and then she was fine. Just curious if some ppl can react like this just by passing out/fainting.

Thanks I will keep you posted!
I am thinking about getting another opinion if this 24-48 hr EEG does not show anything. Thanks