Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
pneumonia and dysfunctional breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

pneumonia and dysfunctional breathing

HI,

I have recently been diagnosed by chest Xray that I had Bronicalpneumonia, this was second week Sept 2011, I was hospitalized for a week put on I.V antibiotocs, then discharged, then the next few days I developed a fever of 38.9 - 40C I was sent back to the hospital and they sent me home with different antibiotics, then the folllowing week I was admitted again with feeling constantly hot, sweats, exhausted and heavy pressure feeling in centre of chest was discharged after a week, then this week I have been to visit my G.P and he has sent me back to the hoaital for a medical opinion as I have been shortness of breath, the doc thinks I am Hyperventilen, I have pain in my centre of my chest going across my let breast and pain in my shoulders, I get tingly numbness feeling in arms and hands,my right shoulder feels swollen and tender, my chest Xray yesterday was clear, my oxygen is perfect 99-100% and the medical doctor thinks it may be dysfunctional breathing from the pneumonia, it is quite frightening I am Asthmatic but have never had a attack it is very well controlled with inhalers, my G.P said that maybe I had pluersy on the left lung, but Xray was clear he suggested that I mention to the hospital to do a CT scan but when I mentioned this they said they don't feel the need and because of the possible risks as itt's high radiation scan, I am at my wits end, I feel like I'm getting fobbed off and not enough is being done to rule out other things, I suffer from Adrenal Gland suppression which I take Prednisolone steroids for, I am still taking Doxycyline antibiotics but feel dreadful, exhausted, no energy, I feel confused and when I talk I feel like I'm slurring my words - Can you advice me anything doc.

Im not a doc, only an RN, but I also suffer from lung problems. Since you are already on prednisone, maybe you could suggest to your GP that you be put on a  preventative inhaler daily? I take Symbicort 2x daily and I can't tell you what a difference it has made. My pulse oximetry was also 99-100, so I understand your frustration. I also take Singulair i tab daily. These two meds have made me feel so much better, maybe they could do the same for you. I hope so. Or there are other inhalers you could try, I'm sure your doc would know which one for you. (I also have a rescue inhaler as needed, Proair, but I never really need it). Good luck and keep me posted.

I am already taking Symbicot 2 x daily and ventolin but it's not helping, I'm not wheezing with my Asthma I'm getting this horrible chest pain, and pain at the top of my back/shoulders and nexk, this has got worse this afternoon, I am getting fed up of going back and for the hospital as my bloods are ok, white cells are up but that may be because of the antibiotics and steroids im taking, I have had 3 chest xrays the 01st one showed that I had pneumonia in Sept, and the 02nd, but the last one was clear, I feel awful, but don't feel as if enough has been done to rule things out, they wouldn't do a CT scan as they said it had risks with high radiation and felt as if I didn't need it and that I just got to give myself time to get over the pneumonia, I don't really know what to do for the best.
stop taking the antibiotics.  if your lungs are showing clear on xray what do you need them for?  I am assuming that you have been through a few rounds of them anyway, so whatever was bad i'm sure you killed. now all they are doing is making you sicker.