Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
possible urinary tract infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

possible urinary tract infection?

I have had symptoms of a urinary tract infection every couple months for the past few years, and every time I would see a doctor they would prescribe me something for it. But not thinking it could do any harm, I would stop taking the medication whenever my symptoms would go away. now I have on and off symptoms of a urinary tract infection almost every month, but my last visit to the doctor (which was a day that I didn't have any symptoms but just had them the week before) came up that I didn't have a urinary tract infection, and I recently got tested for any STDs and I don't have anything. I also read somewhere that the bacteria in the urinary tract could become resistant to some antibiotics if you quit taking the medication early and you would need a stronger antibiotic to get rid of them or it could do some damage, but the doctor said I was wrong about that. So I am wondering if I should be at all concerned about this?
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you need is a urine culture and sensitivity test done. Next time you have this problem, please go to a laboratory and give your urine  for culture and sensitivity in a sterile bottle. This will tell you what organism is causing the infection and what antibiotic will kill it permanently. Please do not take any antibiotic without this test because if the organism is not sensitive to the antibiotic, it will only sit quietly for some time and then flare up again.
If you want to get a culture done and have been taking antibiotics then you must wait for 72 hours after stopping the antibiotic to get proper results. Under antibiotic cover at times the culture is negative. Meanwhile you can drink plenty of fluids and cranberry juice or apple cider. If there is a history of contact it would be wise to get a STD panel done too along with culture. Hope this helps. Take care!