post shingles problems
I contacted shingles about 8 weeks ago and although all of the back pain and most of the itching has gone I am left with pain and tension in the neck, unable to sleep at night, loss of energy, often cold and shivering and slipping into deep depression, which I have never had problems with before. I am 61 years of age and apart from this, am in good health. Can you help me in any way ? I am desperate.
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a nerve pain (neuralgia) that persists after a shingles rash has cleared. If the pain goes, but then returns at a later date, this too is called PHN

PHN is more likely to develop, and is more likely to be severe, in people aged over 60. About 1 in 4 people aged over 60 who have shingles develop PHN that lasts more than 30 days.

So,you should go to see your doctor for medication.
Good luck!

Yes this could well be post shingles neuropathic pain.  You may benefit from a short course of low dosage anti-depressant, which is often prescribed for the pain of shingles, but in your situation may addiitonally help with the depression.
Keep an open mind though.  Just because you have had shingles it does not mean these symptoms are from the condition.  You inevitably became run down and more open to infection and latent conditions at this time, so there may be something else going on.  For example feeling cold all the time may be due to your thyroid not working well, or anaemia, both of which can cause depression to.  It may be worth having a blood work up to check your general health.
Regarding the tension in the neck, again be open to the possible reasons.  While you were so ill and likely in bed maybe you put strain on these muscles.  Depression can literally make you droop your head without realising it, and this can ultimately cause strain and pain.
Do go to your doctor, ask about post shingles pain and anti-depressants, if they are open to suggestions request some blood work for the above condition, and also try to work on your posture.  Maybe evern a good masage or some gentle exercise of the shoulders and back would help.  But get your health checked out first.
A related discussion, Shingles without blistered was started.