Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
pulsatile tinnitus & shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am 29 year old mother of two.  Since the end of January, I have had what I first thought was brochitis.  I called the doctor and he treated me accordingly.  Within a few weeks, the cough didn't go away and I noticed that I was hearing my heart beat in my left ear, so I made an appointment to see my doctor.  On top of the ear issue, I was still coughing and felt like I might have the flu.  My doctor did chest xrays and told me I had pneumonia and gave me prescriptions.  After finishing my meds, I noticed a shortness of breath (the same heaviness I had while I was being treated for pneumonia) and the heart beat in my left ear returned.  I went to the ER when the shortness of breath lead to dizziness, rapid heart beat, and my hands and legs shaking.  The performed chest xrays, CT scans, and multiple blood tests.  The only thing that was abnormal was the blood gasses which came back with the O2 level as 45.  The following day I followed up with my family doctor where this test was repeated.  It came back as 97.  Today, the heaviness is still with me.  It feels as if there is a small child sitting on my chest.  And the heart beat in my ear is still there.  I don't hear it constantly, but I hear it enought that I feel like I need to pop my ears as if I've just driven down a steep hill.  Any ideas what this is?  The doctors here really have no clue.
1 Comment
I am sorry you are dealing with this. I think you should see an ENT maybe and if you are having ringing or any other noises in your ears they might direct you further. Do you have dizziness at all when you are sitting or getting up or moving? If the infection is gone, maybe you might want to have the doctor make sure there is nothing musculoskeletal going on resulting from the infection you had. A pulmononary specialist is maybe the best doctor to find out what is causing this. Also, anxiety can sometimes cause all kinds of issues too, but think that is always something they need to be skeptical about and look for physical illness first. Please get better and hope you can get the help you need.