Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
purple hands purple feet in 14 yr old daughter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My 14 yr old daughters feet and hands turn dark purple alot.  she gets flused real easy even if she doesn't do alot.  i have heard of reynauds disease but i just am not sure what could be goin on.  she will be goin to the dr on monday and they may want her to see a pediatric cardioligist.  its scary any ideas?
This does not sound like Raynaud's. Does she have any other medical problems?
Acrocyanosis is a persistent, painless, symmetric cyanosis (lack of oxygen) of the hands, and sometimes the feet.  It is caused by vasospasm of the small vessels of the skin.  The cause is unknown, but may be related to increased tone of the small vessels associated with dilation of the vessels.  The fingers and toes are always cold to the touch and bluish to purple in color.  The disorder occurs in women of any age and not associated with a disease process.  Symptoms include cold fingers and toes, sweating profusely and may swell.  Cyanosis (color) may intensify in the cold weather and lessen with warming.  Except for reassurance and protection from cold, treatment is usually unnecessary.  Vasodilators are usually ineffective.  Only a licensed doctor can make this diagnosis.
I seen a t.v show they other day. Miracle Workers they help a lot of families that have any kind of diseases that they can help out with these alsome docotrs and i seen a young boy that had the same problem. He would get sleepy a lot from being wore out just from riding a bike. It ended up being like one of his vessels in his heart was not pumping enough blood to his whole body and his fingures and toes would turn purple. They put this tube in his chest that aloud blood to flow a lot better and never had that problem again. I hope when you got to the doctor it is nothing magor. I wish you all the best of luck. Hope everything turns out ok!
well I'm sorry i didn't catch the whole thing and i think people can already read what i wrote and why you took all that time to rewrite what i wrote is beyond me. well now i know. sorry to obviously disturb you some way. my apologies
"I seen a t.v show they other day. Miracle Workers they help a lot of families that have any kind of diseases that they can help out with these alsome docotrs and i seen a young boy that had the same problem. He would get sleepy a lot from being wore out just from riding a bike. It ended up being like one of his vessels in his heart was not pumping enough blood to his whole body and his fingures and toes would turn purple. They put this tube in his chest that aloud blood to flow a lot better and never had that problem again."

i THINK you missed something on that episode. the kid was born with section of his heart missing (can't remember what exactly).
also my point witch i forgot to put on there is maybe there is a heart problem. Not to worry you but just maybe she would have a blood clot and it is stopping up her blood to her fingers and toes. Do not worry about this till u hear results from a heart test. Could be a possibility
thanks for the support.  I will let you all know what the dr say.  God bless
went to the dr and she listended to her heartbeat and she said it wasnt quite right.  she said it wasn't as thumpy soft so she has to have a ultrasound of the heart.
I glad you found something out sorry it had to be that! Hopefully you caught it in time. I wish u and your daughter the best of luck!! My best wishies!!
my father has lung cancer. he had blood clots before they found the cancer. in and out of the hospital . he had 1 treatment for the cancer and now he has been in the hopsital a week and the doctor told us there was nothing she could do. he is getting full of blood clots despite the fact that he has been on blood thinners off and on . hes one foot is deep dark purple and cold. i need to know if anyone else has been through the blood clotting thing and what was the treatment? i refues to accept that at 58 and having known about the cancer 2 months , he is going to die from this!
thank you.
I'M 32 YEARS OLD AND MY FEET ARE ALWAYS COLD, THEY TURN PURPLE/BLACK IN COLOR.. SOMETIMES TURN RED LIKE THERE BURNING .. WHAT COULD THIS BE?
I read a thing on Raynaud's in my search for my problem and it said that the hands and feet  turn purple when cold and red when they start to warm up- does that sound like you? You should get checked, It also said that it is very manageable by the way- so don't be scared to check it out.
Thanks So much. I'll do research on this...
Actually, I disagree with the previous response to your question.  My father has Raynaud's and it manifests itself exactly as you described.  The other possibility is Sclerodoma, which my mother has.  It causes her extremities to turn purple but in her it also causes the bones in her extremities to grow.  So, my 70 year old mother now has feet 2 sizes larger than when she was 67!  How odd it is, but I digress.

You said your daughter is going to be seen by MD soon.  Ask about both Raynaud's and Sclerodoma.

Please also ask your physician about cold agglutinin disease:

"Cold agglutinins (capable of agglutinating RBCs) are immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibodies in the majority of cases, (less common [IgA] or [IgG]). These antibodies can result in RBC agglutination and destruction in the reticuloendothelial system (hemolytic Anemia). Slowing of blood flow into the peripheral vessels results in a Raynaud like syndrome (acrocyanosis). Hemagglutination occurs mainly at 4°C and not at 37°C, hence the name cold agglutinins.

On exposure to cold, painful fingers and toes with purplish discoloration of the peripheral parts of the body including ears, nose, forehead and digits take place.
Classic chronic CAD is idiopathic, of unknown cause and symptoms occur on cold exposure with diverse degrees of severity."

source:

http://www.*****************/hematology/forums/backup/topic-9977.html
source:

doctorslounge ******* / hematology/forums/backup/topic-9977.html
i have the SAME exact thing. it's so bizarre i wish i knew how to treat it. normally, my hands and feet are purple. but when i exercise or move around a lot, everything starts turning bright red and it feels like they're burning hot. sometimes my feet/hands start to tingle. i'm going to check if it might be raynaud's. what kind of doctor would be able to diagnose that? because my doctor had no clue what it could be.
My 6 year old daughter has cold purple feet/hands or red hot feet/hands all the time.  This condition started to be more noticable around the age of 3.  The doctors have ruled out heart problems and Raynaud's and  they are completly stumpted.  All they say is that they will monitor the situtation. She has such a rare disorder (7p duplication & 10q deletion) I find that people are afraid to try a treat her at times.  
my 14 yr old daughter's hand also turn bright red and purple. Her toes turn puple and black. We have been to the doctors for this and they took blood that came back ok she's a little aniemic but she has a follow up appt today I would love to get some answers. Since this started she also stopped getting her period.
im 13 years old.
my hands go purple not only when im cold..
after they go purple they get orange sploges on them. iv had this problem since i was about 11. my legs also get like ringss of purple circles,it looks like an octapus has stuck its tenticles to my leg..

can someone please help me, my mum has made a doctors appointment but i still want information on this.
thank you very much.
jh.
I am 14 and i have exactly the same thing as you my hands and feet are purple or a really strange colour with orange specks00 all the time and my hands are always cold and clamy .. not very nice i know but yeah... just thought i would let you know..
thought when i was younger i had a problem with my bodies temprature system i am not sure whether that could have any relation to it :s..

help anyone please :)
I read most of the posts and I think you have enough to make a list of questions for the doctor tomorrow.  I have Lupus and I have Raynauds.  My hands and feet turn blueish white and then the veins stick out very purple on top of that.  It is also a bit painful and they are stiff.  It mostly happens when I go from a warm temperature to a cooler one.  You can pull up pics on google and see if that's what your sons hand and feet look like.  Personally, it sounds like a bit more going on than Raynauds.  I would make a list from all of the posts here and do a little research online GOOGLE IS GREAT and then take your questions wiht you to the doctor tomorrow.  Sometimes you have to push doctor a bit for an answer.  The best advice I can give if you have never dealt with a doctor on an unusual medical problem is to not let them tell you it's nothing, push for an answer or find another doctor.  Oh and one more thing.  You might ask that they check his ANA in a blood test to make sure it isn't something autoimmune.  God Bless.

Katie - I think you should talk to your parents about your condition and have them take you to a doctor.  Don't be scared, we all get sick at times.  You will be fine.

Hello, thanks for my recommendation, However i have dicussed this issue with my parents and they believe there is nothing to be concerned about however there has Been many articles in magazines that Concern me, Should i go to my GP? Do you know if there anything to treat this?

Thanks, Katie (:
A related discussion, Purple toes and Ears was started.
My 5 month old son has the same thing purple feet and hands. My question is did you take your daughter ti a heart doctor? I need help on this. My poor little guy already has so many different neurology problems. I'm scared there now another problem.
i'm 15 and have exactly the same problems with my hands and feet, and the flushing of my cheeks. but my mum doesn't listen to me or take it seriously so what should i do?
A related discussion, Hands & Feet Black was started.