random dizziness, headache, nausea
For the last week or so I have been having the weirdest feeling. I will be sitting down, and then suddenly feel really light headed and like I am about to faint. It has happened really intensely about three times, and less intensely several other times. It is not when I stand up or anything, but when I am doing things like grading papers or standing still. I have also been having really severe headaches and light sensitivity. Last night I started feeling incredibly hot and nauseated, and I thought that it would pass, but it hasn't. It is also accompanied by confusion, and I will just feel really fuzzy. It has happened at school and at home. I am beginning to get very worried. Help!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are many causes of dizziness, lightheadedness, passing out, blackouts etc. It is difficult to comment without examination. I am just enumerating the possible causes. You can discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Dizziness could be due to postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck.
Other causes are anemia, claustrophobia, GERD, hypoglycemia or low sugar and some endocrine problems. Endocrine problems, such as an underactive thyroid (called hypothyroidism), overactive thyroid (called hyperthyroidism), adrenal insufficiency (called Addison's disease), low blood sugar levels, and in some cases, diabetes, may lead to hypotension and hence lightheadedness and an off balance feeling.
Certain types of epilepsies and seizures too can cause similar symptoms. If you have an accompanying headache then you must also look at benign intracranial hypertension. Heart problems too should be ruled out in your case. If all other tests are normal, maybe an ECHO should be done to rule out mitral valve prolapse.
Hope this helps. Take care!