Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
random leg pain

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

random leg pain

Hello and thank you for taking my question.

I am a 29-year-old female.  For about one week I've had random pain- usually on the outer part of my right thigh, but sometimes I feel it in the outer part of my right calf as well.  I can go for hours feeling nothing and then it will start to come and go, never lasting more than a second at a time.  It's like a twinge.  Then after maybe 20 minutes I don't feel it again, but it comes back hours later.    Nothing is swollen, I can put weight on it and walk and run normally.  The leg looks normal.  It seems to happen more when I'm still.  Sometimes the pain is mild, and sometimes it feels stronger, but it goes away so quickly it's not really stopping me from doing anything.  It doesnt' seem to be affected by the way I move.  

I don't remember doing anything strenuous that would cause an injury- other than some recent work around the house but I dont' think I hurt anything.  It's really bothering me because I've been going through a very stressful time lately, I'm about to make a major job change and will change health insurance and I am moving, now is not a good time for me to have any major problems.  Also I have a history of stress related symptoms (shortness of breath, stomach upset) and I don't know if I should go to my doctor or not- and I'm afraid to go.  I feel fine otherwise, other than very worried.  I just want it to stop.  Another thing- I dont' know if it's related or not, but I noticed this week a small bruise on the underside of my right breast- it's yellowish and seems to be fading.  I have no idea how it got there- it's a very strange place for a bruise.  I've heard bruises like that can be a sign of cancer so I got scared.  The leg thing is scaring me too because I read tumors can weigh on the nerves and cause pain.  

I would greatly appreciate any insight you could provide.

Thank you,  

mafj
Regarding the thigh pain, you should consider a musculoskeletal cause or a nerve impingement.

Getting an evaluation by an orthopedist or physiatrist can be helpful in elucidating musculoskeletal causes.  Referred pain from the hip joint can also lead to discomfort in the thigh.  Appropriate imaging studies can be done to exclude this possibility.  

A nerve cause can be considered as well.  A pinched nerve can be evaluated with a nerve conduction study, or if a central lesion is suspected, an MRI can be performed.

Bruising can be evaluated with a blood count and coagulation studies to initially evaluate for blood disorders.

If there is concern about breast cancer, a mammogram should be ordered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com