Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
recurring high infant fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

recurring high infant fever

For the past 3-4 months my 10 month old boy has been having fevers that run 103-105 lasting 3 days. The fevers come about ever 10-13 days. He has no othe symptoms really. He gets a lot of ear infections and is on singulair and a nubulizer to help with his mild allergies and chest congestion. I have noticed lumps behind his hears as well as he tends to sweat more than what I consider normal especially at night. His doctor is not really convinced anything is wrong with him telling me it is normal for kids to get sick ( he started daycare about 6 months ago) but he isn't sick, it is the same thing over and over again. After complaining enough to his dr. she finally is sending me to an ENT and ordered some tests. He has had blood work done searching for infection, inflammation, and mono but everything came back normal.  Any ideas on what is going on with my wornout baby boy?
the lumps behind his ears can be water filled cysts and are rarely nothing to worry about. i have them there, they come and go but never disapear completly. or maybe another child somehow pulled onthat area. i wish you lucK!
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that your son is having fevers like this and his doctor is not interested or concerned.  Months of frequent high fevers cannot be ignored nor tossed off to the recurrent illnesses of a baby in child care.  I am a board-certified pediatrician, now retired/disabled after 23 years in practice.  Fevers like this are not normal and must be fully worked up.  Things that need to be ruled out are infections, heart problems (with the sweating and chest congestion), malignancies, immune problems and other serious illnesses.

I advise you to take your child to a major medical center pediatrics department and let him be examined.  It's possible that there is a simple explanantion, but until one is found, I would not be comfortable with this explanation.  You need to get his records from the doctor's office, which you have a right to.  These should include his visits which should have all his weights, the temps they have documented and all the lab tests.

Once the answer, whatever it is, is found, I would advise you to find a doctor  - preferably a pediatrician (board-certified) - to take over your son's care.  You need to have a doctor for your son that you have confidence in and that has enough experience to see a potentially serious situation when it arises.  The typical Family Doctor has usually no more than 12 months of pediatric training.  A Pediatrician has at least 36 months (I had 54 months of training and I still saw things I hadn't learned about!).  This is my own personal bias.

Please disregard the comment about "water-filled cysts."  That's nonsense.  Babies often have small, enlarged lymph nodes behind their ears.  These can feel very hard, because they have bone underneath.  In and of themselves these lumps are not worrisome, but a skilled doctor can look for other enlarged nodes, and check him out thoroughly.

Good luck, Quix, MD
my son is 6 months old and has had the same problem, except his are not as high, they are usually around 100-102. 2-3 days. the doc always tells me he has a virus but his doc is on vaca so the on call doc took, labs and urine and so far they are neg, she wants to send him to boston childrens hosp to the immunologist. he has had this last fever for 17 days, going from 99 to 101.9. def. not normal. this has been since birth. i hope it is nothing serious. he has no symptoms also. i hope we find out what's wrong with our boys!! good luck...
Amy from MA
my son is 6 months old and has had the same problem, except his are not as high, they are usually around 100-102. 2-3 days. the doc always tells me he has a virus but his doc is on vaca so the on call doc took, labs and urine and so far they are neg, she wants to send him to boston childrens hosp to the immunologist. he has had this last fever for 17 days, going from 99 to 101.9. def. not normal. i hope it is nothing serious. he has no symptoms also. i hope we find out what's wrong with our boys!! good luck...
Amy from MA