Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
red spots on feet and swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

red spots on feet and swelling

I stopped smoking around 3 months ago and these symptoms have only appeared since then, ive never experienced this before.

The reason I mention the smoking is that I have generally felt unfit since I quit - I had smoked for approx 25 years and I am currently 39 years old.

It started with the inside of my large toenail being painful - like i had stubbed it. It was red and angry looking and when touched, white/lightyellow puss came out. I was informed it was an ingrowing toenail, however after 2-3 days it was fine.
A week or so later the same happened to my other foot, same toe - same place - same result.

My feet then began swelling accompanied by a small rash appearing on the top of my feet from the toes to leg. The rash contains small red spots and they are raised up from the skin slightly (ie they feel slightly bumpy).
My feet swelled up quite bad for a few days but then went to being okay again. This happened twice.

Currently the swelling has seemed to stop - or it is minimal. but my lower legs generally ache especially from the ankles to halfway to the knee.
Also if I for example, cross my ankles a very noticable indent appears after an amount of time when I uncross them.

Another thing is if I were to squat down for example and raise myself using my leg muscles I get a strong "ache" on the front of my legs just below the knee - like a muscualar ache.

The rash is still there and I can see a few similar spots appearing on one ankle.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm very aprehensive about visiting my GP in case its something extrememly bad.
You will have to see a doctor.There is some thing defiantely going on.I can not diagnose you,it could be many things.Make an appointment with your doctor today.Good luck and take care of your self.
It definitely sounds like it was an ingrown toenail - and these things tend to happen over & over again and never go away until you do something about it. The problem with letting and ingrown toenail go untreated is that it can cause an infection - which is what it appears you have.

I wouldn't think the smoking has anything to do with this - but it sounds like the ingrown toenail is what did it. I used to get these as well, but had laser surgery to remove a small portion of my toenail and it never grows back... I had this procedure done about 10 or 15 years ago, and I've never had another problem.

I would STRONGLY recommend you visit your GP - ESPECIALLY since this sounds bad, why wouldn't you go -- GO!!!!!  you could only get worse. Visit the GP, they may recommend you to a Podiatrist. PLEASE go, it sounds like an infection which you will be able to probably fix with some antibiotics... then think about permanently fixing that ingrown toenail....

Keep us posted on your progress!!
It also sounds like bad circulation.