Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
red swollen toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

red swollen toes

My last two toes on both my feet tend to take turns swelling until they are shiny and itchy. This will last for days. The swelling will go down somewhat but never all the way. Tests for gout, lupus, and arthritis showed nothing.
Tags: toes, swollen, red
I have the same problem and have been searching the web for an answer - nothing yet.
I have the same problems.  The redness and swelling of my toes happen about once a year, but for the past 8 years or so.  I've noticed that I also have somewhat of a constipation happening at the same time.  It's not really constipation, but more like irritation and swelling of my bowels.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
This could be due to arthritis that flares up when you have a bowel disorder. However it could also be chill bites if they happen in winters. Another cause is wearing tight fitting shoes—the swelling and redness occurs due to pressure. Fungal infection is another possibility. Gout generally affects the great toe in 75% cases. However it can affect the little toes too. This is due to high uric acid in the body that gets accumulated in the joints. Another possibility is Chondrocalcinosis which is similar to gout but caused by deposition of calcium pyrophosphate rather than uric acid. Rheumatoid arthritis is another possibility.

Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!