Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
rib lesion, that break ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

rib lesion, that break ribs

I have been diagnosed with bone lesion on my ribs. They have been removed and biopsied and found to be calcium deposits that form on my ribs front and back ribs. They grow until they break my bones. Very painful and no one knows what causes this. I have had at least 16 in the last 4 years, 2 rib resections and only thing found in blood work is low vit. D..(as everyone is..)
    Would love to know I'm not the only one or that there is something I can do to prevent this
Any suggestions would be appreciated..

This discussion is related to Bone Disease (lesions).

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The cause of persisting low Vit D should be found out. Deficiency of Vit D can result from several causes such as: inadequate intake, inadequate exposure to sunlight, gut disorders such as IBS, Crohn’s disease, malabsorption syndromes and even gastric bypass that limit its absorption, and impaired conversion of vitamin D into active metabolites such as in liver or kidney disorders. Rarely this is a hereditary disorder.
In adults it causes weakening of bones and osteoporosis. The end result is unexplained aches and pains in different bones of the body, weakness and fatigue. Long term complications include weak bones, inability to walk properly and stress fractures (these you have on ribs). Hence get this investigated. Find the cause of low Vit D. Get your parathyroid gland function, kidney function and thyroid profile tested. Hope this helps. Take care!
I have had all of these test . even had bone density checked and all states that I should never have osteoprosis. All oter test reveal no problem. Bones are healthy other than this problem with breakage..I seem to have soreness about a week prior to breakage and then you can feel the lumps. then I have severe pain . I'm guessing that is the break. Some are worse than others.. I usually get at least 2 at a time. I have been referred to so many specialist I have lost track.  Everyone from blood to bone.
I have been taking 50,000 iu of vit d per week and 1000 mg calcium per day. which brings my levels up.  But still I get these lesion. I have been to John Hopkins in Balt and University of Md. in Balt. and still no luck.
So please that this is not hereditary.. My daughter is 16 and I have had her levels checked and they are low as well so we have started her on vit d and she will be checked reguarly
Thanks for a response. If you know of any other tests or ideas I would be greatful.
                                                      Sincerely, Tina