Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
severe abdominal muscle cramping--like a charlie horse that got lost on...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

severe abdominal muscle cramping--like a charlie horse that got lost on its way to the leg

right after having sex with my spouse, my stomach muscles began to cramp like a severe charlie horse but in my stomach. The pain was excrutiating. It was from the rib cage all the way down the entire stomach region. The right side and muscle right below the belly buttom were the most severe in pain. The pain made me feel like I could not breath and made me nausious. The only relief was to lay still and try to breath as slow and shallow as possible. Finally after about what seemed to be an hour--the pain subsided enough to go to sleep but when I woke the next morning--the stomach muscles (especially the right side) feels bruised and soar as though I pulled a muscle or over worked it. I am obese but do stay somewhat active. This was the very first time this has ever happened to me. I am 37 yrs., obese, somewhat active. I had not done anything different that day than anyother day other than it was extremely cold that day. Some one please help
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Please go to the ER or your doctor to rule out a burst ovarian cyst. Such a pain after sex can be due to pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, irritable bowel syndrome, pelvic tumors, cervical and uterine infections, polycystic ovary, and tumors. It an also be due to ectopic or normal pregnancy. Depending on the site of pain during penetration, diagnosis can be made. This can be further confirmed by clinical examination, ultrasound abdomen or CT scan, PAP smear and a STD panel as required. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Do discuss this with your gynecologist. Take care!
thank you for your advice. I forgot to mention that I have had a hystorectomy five years ago. I spoke to my father and mother and both say that is how they felt when they had a gall bladder attack. today, the muscle around the right side of my rib cage is soar--as though it has been pulled or over worked. I am going to call my family physician today and schedule an appt to have this problem looked at. thank you again for your advice and quick response to my question.