Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
severe pain in hands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

severe pain in hands

38y/o female 157 lbs.

I recently visited my FP for upper back pain that happened when I inflated my chest for any reason, like the sniffles, or cough, which was the worst, and numbess/tingling in arms and hands.He dx'd me with costochondritis and/or pleurisy. For which, he rx'd mobic, and ultracet.and sleeping with arm splints each night for the next two weeks.   ultracet ran out 4 days later and never really made the pn go away, but took edge off, so I took it. upper back pain seemed to subside, but localized more in the area of my spine. On or around the 6th day, my hands (only) started to swell and I had SEVERE pn. If I sleep at all, which is difficult, upon awakening, hands are so swollen and painful I can't use my fingers at all. This has gone on (swollen hands/pn) for about 4 days now. I cannot relax, trying to sleep is painful, and pain is back with a vengence once I awaken. I saw MD again, he gave me a depomedrol/decadron injection and more ultracet.  but he seems to not know why I am swelling. I though it might be an allergic reaction to Mobic, he didn't seem confident in his dx.  so I do not have insurance at the moment, open enrollment isn't for a few months, and I would like to know if there is anything I can do myself, weight loss, dietary changes, types of exercises, that may help...until I can get MRI done...
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
The swelling could be due to several reasons including carpal tunnel syndrome, hypothyroidism and diabetes. However since now you cannot get investigated there is little you could do. Reduce your salt intake, fluid intake if it helps, keep the arms raised above your head when you lie down—the arm stretched up on the pillow—you can keep two pillows and keep the arms on that. During the day you can try to keep your hands from hanging at your sides.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!