Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
severe right side pain by floating ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

severe right side pain by floating ribs

Hi I am 25 and have been having pain in my right side between the last two floating ribs for about ten years off and on. This last extent of pain has been getting worse constant for almost a year. It started with lifting weights hurt then cardio then anything from walking to standing pro long. I have had a ct done: normal, MRI: normal, blood: normal and urine: normal. The only medicine that some what helps a little is NSAID but even the highest doses don’t completely work but it’s something. If I ball up is helps the pain but heat or cold does not. I have tried physical therapy, massage therapy, chiropractor, and kidney specialist, internal medicine everyone is passing me on and running out of options. The pain on most days is an ache but gets worse as the day goes on into a sharp radiating pain until I can barely stand. I have a high pain tolerance but this is horrific I don’t want to be medicated all my life and doctors don’t want to prescribe me anything now. Something is wrong very wrong please if anyone has an idea please help
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have pain under your right rib then there could be a liver infection, pancreatitis, or a gall bladder problem. Get a liver function test, ultrasound or CT of abdomen, and pancreatic enzymes. It can also be due to acidity and duodenal ulcer. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. It could also be muscle pull that can be treated by applying local analgesic creams. It could also be costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way. Pain under right ribs with gas can be due to any inflammatory bowel disease like Celiac or Crohn’s, IBS or due to food intolerance. If all these are ruled out, then laproscopy should be done. Such an undiagnosed pain is usually due to adhesions and cutting the adhesions takes care of the pain. Pain under right rib case can also be due to pleurisy, asthma, or any other lung problems. Usually this is accompanied by lung related symptoms like breathlessness, cough etc. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!
I have tried antacids don’t work, seems to be deeper than the surface so lidocane patches don’t work this morning I got an ultra sound done waiting on results they also took blood to check my liver and gull blater, it’s not tender to the touch I sometimes dig my thumb into it and push my floating ribs this seems to help or agitate it. I am going to try the Omeprazole is that over the counter? I mean I can’t emphasize how bad this pain is I grew up with two brothers who have accidently put me in the emergency room and never cried this I would give up anything for it to stop. I don’t smoke or eat spicy foods the pain does not seem to be affected by eating bowl movements or menstrual cycles. The medicine they have me on isnabumetone that seems to help maybe 1 tenth of the pain. So my next step is laparoscopy? Some doctors are mentioning steroid injections and I’m not so sure about them?
So I got steroid injections and they helped for three days when I went back to the dr he gave me more claiming he didn’t get all of the muscles the second set don’t help at all I’m on muscle relaxers they help sometimes I just don’t get what this could be if its muscles how come it hasn’t healed? The next step is Botox to kill the nerve I really don’t want to do this but what option do I have?
I have had, since high school, a sharp stabbing pain between the same two ribs on my right side. It comes sporadically, intensely, an generally for only several seconds. It literally feels like a knife being pushed into my side. Then it will disappear for weeks or months. It intensified my gory year of college to the point where I was x-rayed. It seems to occur mostly when I am stressed. Since it is not always there it is hard to diagnose. I also experience occasional sleep paralysis, and have recently had shingles, all f which can be triggered by stress. Though the sleep paralysis we are attributing to migraine. I can only find relief from pressure put on that 1 inch spot where the pain is, or by making sure I have heat at night on it sometimes helps. I think it is stress for me, weddig planning, moving cross country dealing w fiancé absence and planning everything is stressful. Hope that helps, don't know if thatsounds similar to your pain?