Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
sevier ear pain followed by facial numbness and paralysis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

sevier ear pain followed by facial numbness and paralysis

hello, i am a 23 year old white female, a bit over weight, but generally in good health. i have had extreme pain in my left ear which radiated down to my left jaw at the jaw line for 4 days now. i woke 2 days ago with partial numbness in my face, with no paralysis. i put ear drops in my left ear, thinking i had an ear infection, that i had left over from a previous ear infection. i went to bed night before last after doing the ear drops, and woke up yesterday morning with partial paralysis of the left side of my face. my ear pain was gone, but i have had a throbbing, constant pain in my left jaw since. i woke this morning with near complete paralysis of the left side of my face, making blinking my left eye very hard. i also am still having the throbbing pain in my jaw. my lymph nodes on both sides of my neck are hard to the touch. what kind of dignosis might i expect from the doctors, and what may be the treatment for this? thank you very much
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
This may be Bell's Palsy, an infection of one of the cranial nerves.
This can be caused by a virus or a bacteria.  
Please make an appointment with your doctor.

Wishing you the best,
Carol

Blank
Agree with Carol---- would be concerned about Bell's Palsy. See your MD. Good luck.
Blank
thank you both very much, i appreciate it greatly, it turns out it is bells, and after a week of antivirals and steroids, i am regaining feeling, and hope soon to get total control of the left side of my face again. again, i would like to thank you for your concerns.. blackbear2002kb
Blank
One thing that you should know, is that a certain percentage of Bell's Palsy is due to infection with Borrelia bergdorferi bacteria, which causes Lyme Disease.
If you should develop any other symptoms suggestive of Lyme, you need to investigate further.  The Canadian Lyme Foundation at canlyme.com has a good symptoms list.

I hope your recuperation continues uneventfully.
Carol
Blank
A related discussion, Ear numbness? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank