Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
sharp stabbing pain in upper arm

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

sharp stabbing pain in upper arm

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone may be able to shed some light on a problem I've had for a couple of months now.

Randomly (as I cant seem to figure out why/when this is usually happening) at some point in the day/night I get a really intense stabbing/poking/burning pain in my right arm. It is about 2 inches up from the inside of my right elbow, and is like someone has just stabbed me deeply with a fine needle...its very hard to explain.

it will happen maybe a few times in a matter of 10 minutes or so....and the pains so strong it takes me by surprise! It starts to feel better if I rub my arm with the palm of my hand, but soon the pain comes back for another strike...and then once its done it doesnt happen again for days.

I cant link a time of day it usually happens, as it happens randomly. Its doing it now, and its really annoying me!

I am 25yo F, in good health, pretty active, slightly overweight but loosing weight.

Anyone got any ideas? Any feedback would be much appreciated, and once I've finished moving house, I'm gunna definately get a doctor sorted and go see em! lol

Thanks :)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A sharp stabbing pain on the inside of the elbow could be due to bursitis or inflammation of the bursa of the elbow joint. Since you are shifting, it is possible you strained your elbow. It can also be due to deep vein thrombosis. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. You will need clinical examination followed by some tests for confirmed diagnosis.
Hope this helps. Take care!

Hey, thanks for the response! I'd say it feel more on my bicep, like the lower part of it at the front...its such an odd place its hard to explain  :( but its fine most of the time then out of nowhere it suddenly happens, usually when im in a relaxed state?

again, thanks for the first reply :) take care
Could be a muscle injury while lifting weight or pushing something.
hmm...can it be that even if with the randomness of when it happens and that im not usually doing anything strenuous when it happens? I guess just as long as Its not signs of anything really bad I shouldnt worry too much i guess.

thank you :)