shingles without a rash
Is it possible to be diagnosed with shingles without having an external rash?  The pain is on my left side only in a band near my waist line.  The pain is horrific - even to the touch.  All symptoms seem to be consistent with shingles but after 2 weeks of this, there is no rash.  Narcotics, vicodin and darvocet have helped some but not completely.
what is the proper treatment plan for getting rid of symptoms ? what pill is most effective and how much and how often do you take the meds?  I have had stabbing pain in my back .when I wake up in the morning.  Thought my rib was out.  I was exposed to some one who had shingles no rash in june and my back pain started two weeks later.
I have had herpes chicken pox and herpes in my face eye  and ears before
Almost 4 years now that i have been dealing with the worst pain of my life. I had test after test done, blood, urine, mri with and without contrast, ct scans, breathing test and even a biopsy of my lungs. After 2 years of no answers or diagnosis and with pain that had progressed into debilitating, i was at the end of my rope. I felt like a prisoner in my own body. At 36 years old i could no longer work, the pain had become constant and had evolved in such a way that words could no longer describe it. I couldnt sleep, trying to get comfortable sitting, standing or laying down was out of the question, showering became a dreaded hardship. I gave up on the so called "specialist", especially after one had insinuated that maybe it was all in my head. I hadnt seen my primary care physician as my husband was working out of state and we had moved, but it was through him that i was able to get the testing done as most of it was by referral only. I made the decision to make an appt. with him, and even though it meant buying a plane ticket for the thousand mile trip it was well worth it.

My appt. lasted 2 and a half hours, but it was within the first 15 minutes that my Dr. had diagnosed it as Shingles with no rash, and unfortunately at this point PHN. (Post Herpatic Neuralgia) That was October 2011. He prescribed an anti-viral, gabapentin, and morphine for the pain. Morphine has never really worked for me, so we decided to try Fentanyl patches.

9 months later and i can sleep at night. (usually) I can bring in the newspaper, cook meals, do the grocery shopping etc. The pain has by no means left and there are times when i feel like someone ran a broom handle through me, but it is much more manageable on a day to day basis. I dont know how long i will need the medications, but am grateful for having some sort of quality back in my life.

I had heard of shingles before, but didnt know anything about it really. I do know that i have never presented with a rash, not then not now. But the symptoms, the burning, shooting, piercing, excruciating stabbing pain as well as the intense fiery itching. All scream Shingles.

It gives me a great sense of relief, having a diagnosis and knowing that im not crazy. Its funny that after all the time, energy and money spent on these so called "specialist" that it only took my pcp 15 minutes to figure it out and all he did was listen to me.

I fly back and see him every 3 months and consult with him monthly. He has never promised a complete recovery and i wouldnt expect it. But i feel that progress has been made and at least i have some kind of answer to what has plagued me the last 4 years. For now, im hopeful. I take one day at a time. Shingles with no rash? Yeah it exists, and knowing this has taken unnecessary stress out of my life.

My sympathies go out to everyone suffering from this debilitating affliction. Thank you for letting me share my story, and i hope that someone can take something positive from my experience.
I am a little late in my comments, but maybe it will be useful for others searching.  I was diagnosed with shingles just this week.  I really knew nothing about shingles so I did a lot of research while laid up in bed.  I now believe that I had my first symptoms well over a month before any rash appeared.  About 6 weeks ago I felt a horrible burning sensation on the left side of my chest that showed absolutely no outer rash, redness, nothing.  I couldnt even wear a simple chain necklace.  Could not touch it.  This lasted about 3 weeks.  I never had it checked and eventually the burning sensation went away, but I was left with a dry, leathery spot in the same area.  About 4 weeks after that patch disappeared, I started getting spots on my forehead and scalp.  I also believe that unexplainable pain in my left foot about a week prior to the outbreak was also a sympton.  All of this was on my left side.  I feel for anyone with this type of pain.  I always thought shingles was an irritating skin condition.  UGH...the discomfort of the actual spots on the skin are NOTHING compared to the pain coursing through my body.
I am wondering if I also have rash less shingles!! I am only 45 and for about 8 years now I will get pain as described by others in this feed. I can say that it usually hits me on my left side of my scalp and sometimes into my temple.  I have also had the same feeling on the outer of my upper left leg. For my second day I have had it on the top of my head to my right side about the size of a soft ball! These pains are only slightly reduced with Advil. The strange thing is they do not last more than 3-4 days each time. Could I be getting 'zoster sine herpete' -???
I am a 29 yo male.  I was having a bruised sensation over my ribs on my right side for a couple of days starting a week ago.  It felt like I was punch in the ribs, and I could not remember doing anything that would have caused this.  There was no actual bruise either, but there are 4 bumps that look like bug bites.

I was having other symptoms as well, such as headache, fatigue, pains in my sides, and now some on and off again burning in my chest but on the opposite site of my body, probably due to stress.  My was was diagnosed with a rare illness a few months back and have been under so much stress, which is probably what triggered this all.

Anyway, a week after the sore ribs started and 4 bumps, I went to urgent care.  I told them I was worried it might be my kidneys or shingle but I don't have a rash.  Dr said he thought it was shingles and that I would either get a rash soon, or not get one at all.  He put me on valtrex and the next day after starting the meds my stomach started getting itchy and now the band on my right side over my ribs is getting much itchier, but still not a rash.  

I am only two days into my meds, so we will see what happens.  I am not in a ton of pain, but I do get sharp twinges in my side every once in a while, that feels like a swimmers cramp. My skin is itchy and burns a little.  And little pains in my back and joints.  I am pretty tired as well.

I will try to update after I finish the valtrex in a week.
I take 400 mgs acyclovir, twice a day. Keeps me from breaking out but does not help phn.
I know exactly what you mean, Carol. I also do not have a gallbladder, but this pain is worse in the gallbladder area, so it made me think that it was involving the ducts from my liver. But this weird stuff has traveled within me. It started out in my right side, wrapping around from back to front. Then after some chiropractic adjustments it settled down, so I assumed it had been a subluxation of my spine. But then I had it around my middle, about a 4-inch band around me at the navel area. There was pain, but also the severe sensitivity to my skin where it hurt for my clothes to touch there. But I could place my hand there and push hard, which would NOT hurt - so weird. It was like the pain was in the nerves under my skin. I went to a manual therapist who told me that he couldn't help me and that it sounded like a neuro-toxin such as shingles to him. I told him that there was no rash there, and he said that there didn't have to be. I also had a radionics expert tell me that she detected neuro-toxins within me, which are the result of chemtrails dumped on us in our area. I am presently enduring the pain and over-sensitivity and have tried all the natural remedies I am aware of. I have also done extensive electronic zapping to kill the viruses, bacteria, parasites and other vermin. It seems to help me some, but then it comes back with a vengeance. I am having to spend too much time on myself and just wish that there would be an answer once and for all to this problem. I personally believe that this is a man-made neuro-toxin that has bombarded us, in line with other made-in-the-lab pathogens, such as the LYME spirochete and the bacteria that accompanies it (which my son has contracted). We are definitely under attack. I am so sorry for all of you who are going through this pain, as I can truly sympathize. I pray that the Lord will supply a solution for us all very soon.
thanks for your comments and experiences being told to me. this week starting sometime on saturday december the 8th this year 2012 I was so full of pain. yes it began on me also. can we laugh? wow, on my left side from my seat down my left leg to the left side of my foot, thinking it was only a pinched nerve, after going this week to my chiropractor, having put it off in case the pain would just go away and didn't, I did go to my doctor of chiropractic. he did adjust me after the machine massage was finished. did the usual acupuncture. everything was done. all the adjustments were completed. everything was in order functionally via the spine. but the pain still persisted. take another night of wait and see. decided to go to another clinic. they don't have a medical doctor. got their list for the saban clinic. called them up and they don't have any open appointments till january 10th! i could try and go in the morning at beverly or another one in los angeles route but the next step was go by the chiropractor and let him know what i felt like last evening and this morning. as soon as i got to his office and spoke before his person of my situation he said to come in and realized it was the same as other of his clients experiences. he said that i had a form of shingles. he said there is a vaccine that costs 350 or so dollars that one of his other clients did not have money to get either. so others said they took antivirals to get rid of what only pain for a while or forever? I can hardly be comforted. i haven't really a family to care for me and i am without assistance. i hope that something good happens for us and wish there comes an end to this neuro toxin development upon us making both old and young and middle aged and poor and rich and inbetween folk hurt like this be cured.
have u had a mri of your knee, could be a torn or injured maniscus?
I have had many bouts with pain under my left shoulder blade and will suffer for about a week and then it goes away.  Last October (2011) I also went to ER thinking it was something more serious.  In the past I thought it may have been a muscle pull or cold in the back. The hospital found everything negative and sent me home. I get this at least once a year.  This passed Friday I woke up with the beginning of the pain, it has gotten prgressively worse and has not subsided at all.  I called my doctor, got checked...did some blood work but could not find any specific reason or cause.  He referred me to an orthopedic man, thinking possible bursitis but orthopedis couldn't explain it traveling down to my right elbow.  Today I go to a neurologist!  I too am thinking shingles without a rash.   I am a 56 year-old female who is not a smoker, excersises regularly and is not overweight.  I eat well too and I am so frustrated that no one can tell me why I am in such pain and why is comes and how to get relief!
Howdy new community,
Can't believe I have ended up here after all my 40 year old body has been through! 2 major accidents that have left me with lifelong problems 20 and 21 years ago. Since the past four years, 2 knee surgeries, wrist surgery, 2 major abdominal surgeries... all while caring for three 3 little ones 7and a half, 4 and a half, and 2 and a half.  While pregnant with the two and a half year old I got the swine flu that ended up an ear infection that went so deep it got into my ear bones and went systemic!  Thankfully we survived and his only damage that we can tell are the white stains on his teeth from the antibiotics he received while in utero.  After years of stress and an occasional excruciating stabbing pain behind my right ear (the one with the worse of the infections) I was suddenly brought down HARD yesterday while caring for the four of us with the flu. Two days ago I was sweating and freezing within moments of each other. Yesterday I was just plain freezing.  Under three blankets all day on the couch alternating babies snuggling me for their warmth during our all day movie watching, though truth be told I just lay there with my eyes closed until someone whined for popsicles, juice or a toy swiped by a sibling. The pain behind my ear was excruciating for about 36 hours, it would come and go every few seconds or minutes depending on if I was lying in a hot bath with the lights out.  After realizing I was making the same sounds I had made while delivering three 9 pound babies with no medication I knew I needed to go to Urgent Care this morning.  A very long 45 minute drive and a two hour wait once there and the doctor surprised me.  No ear infection!  I had just seen my ear doc last week for a follow up from a dizzy fall I had in the night when I cracked my ear on the edge of the dresser as I went down hard in the dark.  He had drained the fluid from the cartilage so I hopefully don't end up looking like a kickboxer with Cauliflower ear. He also cleaned my ears out so I knew they would be squeaky clean for the doc today although with no pain in the actual ear canal I was just assuming the nerves were doing something weird.  They were, the doc this morning told me Shingles!  He looked for a rash under my hair and found none and said he hopes we started the antivirals in time to prevent them. I had chicken pox at 6 months old and what do you know...so now I am taking 2 different antivirals, an antibiotic and cough syrup with codeine.  Aiyiyi! I have learned three major things today... 1) I hope I am one of the lucky ones to have this be my ONLY experience with Shingles.  2) Like preventing cauliflower ear, immediate attention is mandatory when shingles is in question.  3) I will definitely be getting my kids the chicken pox vaccine when they are all better from this flu.  It seemed like a silly one but after this experience I couldn't let them face it.  I do have fear about introducing to their perfect bodies this little creep of a virus and I read on this post about the 61 year old that developed shingles months after her vaccine...  Hang on people, this is what they call the human experience ;)
Hi, last night the hospital in Saskatchewan told me that I have shingle's and gave me a prescription to fill if the rash appears. I did have some redness on my left side mid back, but this morning that redness is gone. Right now I am just watching it closely.
I'm in severe pain in my lower spine and a burning sensation into my left groin.
It's extreme pain and I received muscle spasm meds and nerve meds.
They are not working very well yet, but I am hoping still. This is my Fourth day of extreme pain in my spine.
All of my family claim that I have "never" had chicken-pox so this is really baffling me.
Please let me and other's know how everything turned out for you.

Thank you everyone.
chezza1968……………….

Thank you everyone.
Hi there...I'm not sure how long ago you posted this, but I am experiencing the EXACT symptoms. It started out as excruciating ear pain leading me to my family Dr with him telling me that I had an outer and middle ear infection. He put me on strong antibiotics and it just kept getting worse! It was unbearable and had me in tears constantly. I ended up at the emergency room where they changed my antibiotic again to biaxin and after 4 days on that garbage it was still getting worse, that's when the facial paralysis started. Terrified me!  I couldn't hear anything out of my ear except a loud muffled ringing sound. I ended up at the emergency room again SO sick and they admitted me. I had tons of tests ran with no real results pointing to a diagnosis. The ENT specialist finally said he was going to treat me for shingles with the Ramsey Hunt syndrome. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was put on valtrex, prednisone pack and keflex. He has me taking 1000 mg of the valtrex 3 times a day but the EXTREME fatigue and shortness of breath has me on a break. Please respond back
I, too, have been suffering it seems all year long!  Mine started with 3 week case of bronchitis....ok for 2 weeks...then major sore throat , fever over 105 and hospitalized for a week. Had tons of tests done and saw (its felt like) every specialist in town)!  
1 week later came home and 5 days later started feeling terrible pressure/pain in chest thru to my back (right side).  Went emergency room (they knew me well by then) as thought it was a heart attack.  They sent me home with Vicodin. Started rounds of doctors again and pain began to burn - terribly under right breast around side and to back.  Skin leathery feeling and tender spots on bones around area.  It was not until this past Monday (april fools day) that my brilliant dermatologist ( whom I should have seen weeks ago) diagnosed this as shingles with no rash!  I had a miscarriage as an adult having chickenpox I got from someone with shingles.
I ended up having an epidural block today ...also lucky enough to know the best pain doctor in town...wish I could put names down...but don't think I am allowed to.  Started Valtrex on Monday...not sure if helping, but for the first time tonight, didn't need my Vicodin!  Also forgot to mention my PCP started me on gabapentin about 3 weeks ago...it has done nothing!  He was convinced it was not shingles......AS THERE WAS NO RASH!!!
I have been having the same symptoms on my right side upper rib cage and the pain and discomfort spreads from one half of my back to the front under the breast bone, feels like I have been punched! No rash has appeared. My rash appeared on the same side but on the bridge of my nose and scalp. This started last Summer and then I ended up with the pain in the lower jaw which was tremendous. Went to see the Doctor who thought it might be shingles but wasn't too sure and I am still going back to see him. He also put me on anti seasure meds for the itching and anti-viral meds plus creams and Tramadol for the pain. I must admit the anti-viral med worked a little but I heard that the virus can stay dormant in your system and once triggered by stress can re-appear so I guess keeping the stress to minimal helps but I will let him know about the rib pain as I did think it was not the same. Nice to talk with people who have the same symptoms.
Middle of March I started getting pains on my right side just under the rib cage. The pains got worse and seemed to move down and around the hip area. Ultrasound and X-rays did not show any problem. The sensitivity on the skin in the area seemed to change and was like a numbness (over quite a large area). The pain was like a severe burning sensation near the surface, Eventually my doctor referred me to the ED at the hospital where after several tests the doctor there diagnosed shingles - but without the rash. After about six weeks the pain had disappeared, but even now the skin sensitivity in the area is still strange - like a numbness.
Actually, this sounds like Lyme Disease. My son, mother and I have all had it and the Specialist we saw in Connecticut explained that the Lyme info out there is mostly wrong. The majority of people that contract Lyme Disease never get the telltale rash. Many never see the tick that bit them. The tick can transfer the virus within 4 hours of biting, not the 24 hours many claim. I had excruciating pain in my neck and back. Nothing helped. Exhausted. The common "Western Blot" Lyme Disease test is 50% accurate only. There are 50% false negatives but no false positives. My specialist took four vials of blood for four separate Western Blot tests. Two came back negative and two positive! Also, most ticks transmit secondary viruses at the same time. Some of these are deadly. Find a specialist to test him properly. Good info at LymeDisease.org
Hello.  I had shingles too and the post-herpatic pain. (after shingles pain)  I only had one pimple and at that time Acyclovir was not available.  Needless to say, I suffered with terrific pain.

Now when that pain flares up I take  APIS MELLIFICA 30 x.    It is available at the health food store and it is a remedy derived from the whole honeybee.  

Three pellets every 15 minutes to start.  The see if it helps - then 3 pellets twice a day for three to five days.

I sincerely hope this remedy helps all of you - shingles is no laughing matter and without the pimples, I think the pain is at least 10 times worse!
The doctor told me my shingles had "gone inside".  
My heart goes out to all of you fellow sufferers - I have been experiencing exactly what you, each, have described - zoster sine herpete...which means shingles WITHOUT RASH.  It is not commonly known by doctors, in general, but is documented in ongoing research.  You can "google" zoster sine herpete and will find extensive articles.  I was hospitalized with this, my 8th documented episode!  I received an  antiviral (but too far into the illness to do any good) plus Tylenol 3 (Tylenol + Codeine) every 4 hours for severe pain (around the clock), Ultram every 6 hours for moderate pain (around the clock), Flexeril 3 times a day for relaxing muscles + pain.  I continued these meds until I no longer felt the pain...6-8 weeks.  I had excruciating pain in my right hip - the virus had settled in my S1 area, near the sciatic nerve and it would spasm and send electric shock type pain down the length of my leg. I made the mistake of applying the Lidocaine patches right on the area of pain and only made it 10x worse.  In the hospital, I was on IV pain meds + Flexeril until my muscles stopped spasming (2 days).  This was the worse pain I have ever experienced and I hope this information will be helpful to those of you who can't get your docs to listen and investigate this rare form of shingles.  There is help out there.  Thank God I have a doc who thinks outside the box.  Good luck.  
hello my name Chrystal Montgomery... ive been having all  the same symptoms.. but my eye site.. its blury at times.. did this happen to you... i finely dont feel crazy.. ever test that they have done on me came back good.. ive been telling my husband over a year now that something wrong.. and everyone look at me like im crazy... finely my doctor told me she thinks i have shingles.. im really praying thats what it is .. so i can go back to having a life.. thank you for sureing your story it really gave me hope... hope to here from you.. have a good day

Chrystal Montgomery
So sorry this is happening to you, too.  Shingles is called exquisite pain by the doctors as it is past the 10 stage of pain.  
       L-Lysine helps to heal Shingles and Lutein and Bilberry help with the eyesight.
      So glad your doctor was smart enough to diagnose you.  Hope you don't get Shingles again.
      Doctors tell you that once you have it, you are immune... sorry that isn't true.
      I have the Post Herpetic Neuralgia (shingles pain after shingles are gone).  Gets bad at times and have been to the ER where the doctors gave me Acyclovir.  (Bless their hearts)
        Take care and try not to stress too much.
Thank you for sharing your experience with shingles without the rash. I am currently experiencing the pain and numbness on my left side. My doctor has prescribed pain medication and an antiviral,but nothing has brought me much relief. I continue to go to work and take care of my family, but I don't know how much more of this I can take. I am truly looking forward to this coming to an end soon.  
I've had something similar my left side of my face feels itchy but like I burned it at the same time, my eye feels itchy and irritated. My head hurts on the same side I'm scared :/... I'm 23 can I get shingles??
YES!  It really does.  And my gall bladder was removed years ago.  Several Dr.s also checked me, saying I did NOT have shingles either.
I too, have had that strange, odd feeling in abs. area for months.  Approximately 1 month ago I began feeling dizzy.  Dr. said it was nothing.
I then had an earache which led to headaches.  Again saw Dr.  Again it was
nothing.  I found a knot on head, (as though I had been hit) and it DID break open into Shingles rash.  I have finally been diagnosed with Shingles
and given the medication for it.  Am still healing.
You and I have exactly the same symtoms, the pain is horrific. three weeks with no rash, three doctors, emergency rooms,exrays, misdiagnosis no insurance so the cost has run about $10,000. finally because I was told I had a kidney stone I applied a heating pad hoping to get some relief from the back pain the next day I got a rash. T I went to a wo days later I went to a urologist office and a nurse took one look at me and said."You have shingles" Doctors should be trained to look at shingles for a solution if anyone tells them they have severe pain or tingling sensation even if there is no rash. Is there no blood test for this disease? Now I am on anti viral medication but the pain in my kidney area is still really bad how long does this last? And I am so relieved to have found this discussion group, I was begining to think I was going crazy.
   Sweetie, I am sorry that you have shingles.  It can last for a very long time or a very short time.  Sorry. We can't know how long.  It's different for every person.  It is especially sad when you see a little kid with it.... how can they tell you how badly they hurt?  
   it is so frustrating when you don't have a rash and the doctors can't diagnose you.  I was very fortunate to have doctors that recognized it before my first "pimple".  But that was so many years ago that there wasn't anything except NSAIDs they could give me.
No anti-viral meds.
     I have since been to the urgent care at least twice and because I had shingles before, they gave me Acyclovir for my pain - just in case I was getting them again.  Thankfully it worked for me.
     L-Lysine works against Herpes Simplex and does afford some relief.  And the Apis helps with the pain.  Available at a health food store.
     Hope this info helps you.
Wishing you the best outcome
  At 25 years of age I had chicken pox, a week later after the sores healed I had burning pain over 20% of my body mostly the upper . It even hurt to have my shirt touch my skin. I worked out side in construction it was almost unbearable. I now am 49 years old I have dealt with it so long that I am now accustomed to it's frequent appearances. early on it came on aprox. 6-7 times a yr ,4-5 days at a time now I have dealing with many work injuries, and the shingles seems to attack areas that are stressed. I will also wake with an ear ache that will grow to feel like an ear infection , it will even hurt when I swallow. A day later no pain at all.this lasts about 4 days.  I have a lot of nerve pain from pinched disks, so I take a narcotic which doesn't do anything for the shingles. but my doctor prescribed me Lyrica which has stopped it completely. I had stopped taking it because I was taking to many meds and the attacks came back, now I am back on the Lyrica and it has stopped it.
  If a doctor suspects you have shingles with no rash and he gives you the anti-virus meds - take them immediately!  Don't wait to see if you will break out with the rash.  The pain is immediate - so take the meds and don't wait.
This information has been very helpful, though, saddening to hear about how painful most are when afflicted with shingles. I was told I have shingles under my eye this past Friday, but I was not in the kind of pain many have described. It started after a very stressful event with stinging pain, prickly to touch, and radiating stings, swelling soon started under my eyelid. I took Ibuprofen to sleep, but it was not excruciating. My doctor sent me right away to an ophthalmologist, and he said it could be early shingles, but my eye itself was great. He said not take the anti viral Valtrex my Internist prescribed unless another vesicles erupted. I developed a low grade fever and more swelling. My husband a dentist suggested I start the Veltrex, I started it on the third day of these symptoms and finally today after five days, the virus feeling is waning as well as the facial and eye swelling. I am perplexed if I do have a mild shingles, but caught it before it worsened. Any thoughts or insights would greatly be appreciated. I am 56 years-old. I am thinking I should get the vaccine???
     Whether the vaccine helps or doesn't is the question.  At first we were told that once you get shingles you never get them again.  That was a lie.
    The shingles shot can cost anywhere from $250 to $500 depending on where you live and what is available.  it it not covered by insurance, not even by the military or Medicare nor Medicaid as we found out.
     My mother got the shingles shot but I didn't.  I have post herpetic neuralgia ( pain after shingles)  - when it gets bad I go to Urgent care and they give me Acyclovir to prevent getting the shingles again.  Usually works right away. (and it is covered by my insurance.)  
  So , there you have it.  Your decision.  

Hope this helps you decide which way to go.
Wishing you the best.
I personally don't get any swelling or blistering, I simply get a field of pain similar to having a steam burn with no visible effects and no way to curb the pain.My attacks usually sneak up and I don't realize what the real cause of the pain is until the 2nd or 3rd day when it starts to peak. I can't imagine having blisters or swelling on to of it. Did the doctor say weather you would be susceptible to infection during an attack.
I just read your post and wanted to respond.  In October 2013 I started having back pain and extrem fatigue.  My lymph glad above my right ear started swelling. By that night I had a headache with sharp shooting pains on the right side of my hear. My ear was also hurting and had a muffled sets.....like an ear block. I took hydro codeine that I had been given when my tonsils were removed and I was able to sleep that night. The next day I went to the dr and was diagnosed with shingles .....no rash...just raised area all near my ear. I was put on steroid and valtrex 3000mg a day. One day I would feel good next day exhausted and headache for over a week. Within 2 weeks, I again came down with exact symptoms this time with one pock raised near my ear on right side of my face. There was a rash looking like it was developing but got back on steroids and antiviral valtrex at 3000mg per day. I finally got back to work...trying to make up days missed from these two shingles attack. Thanksgiving night I had a dull headache and my ear once again started getting that miuffeled congested feeling with pain shooting through it. I also has a pock pop up under my chin on right side with several raised areas near my right ear again. I immediately started valtrex and back to my family dr. Who is baffled. She sent me to ent who referred me to an infectious disease dr. They took 6 tubes of blood to check my immunity system. All came back good. As of today dec. 15 I still have not returned to work as I came down with an upper respitory infection as well. The drs do not know why I have had 3 outbreaks within 2 months. No one can give me answers or help. I will start taking 500mg of valtrex a day to see if it will keep me from getting another outbreak. I have been under stress for over a year and personally think it was more then I could handle maybe as I was feeling so overwhelmed by the time this shingles kicked in the 2nd time I asked to be given something to help with my anxiety. Started taking Zoloft and has helped tremendously. The Zoloft calmed my anxiety which felt like a constant adrinaline rush that wouldn't shut down.

I am a flight attendant and plan on returning to the air next week. Hoping my ear doesn't start again. I still am getting headaches and shooting dull pains in that ear.

Hope this helps....
     When I get the pain in my ear or near it I find that Gabapentin (Neurontin) helps.  It is nerve pain and it sometimes feels like neuralgia or neuritis.
    Hope this helps someone.
I have this right now.  I had the shingles vaccine in June on Fathers Day just so I wouldn't get this. Now I have the symptoms but no rash.  It's not as bad as others are explaining but it is bad enough that I don't really want clothes touching that area of my skin.  
I went to a doctor, I have been diagnosed  herpes zoster ophthalmicus, and still have til now (6 months). though the blister and "excruciating pain" was gone in one week time, by  megadosing vit B-12 and vit- C. but still i can feel there are still viruses in my brain. The incompetent doctor just gave me expensive pain relievers, and just advised me to eat plenty and rest. but it's herpes zoster ophthalmicus, and a very serious disease. so had to do something and me being a reasearcher, i searched google, and found b-12 and vit-c for herpes virus.

now im trying hulda zapper for 3 days now, but still the same, i am not fully healed yet. but this zapper is 15hz and is not tuned to kill the zoster virus, which should be 418hz - according to hulda clark. I just don't know if it will work though. Though in the past i successfully treated my tuberculosis with 34khz zapper. I can really attest to that.

So for those of you that still have this virus, it will help you to megadose with b-12 (sublingual),
and vit c.

you may want to supplement with L-lysine too.

Goodluck to everyone and be well.
418khz i mean
Hello, Ive just read your post about your son's suspected shingles, posted in 2008.  I'm desperately trying to find help for my 8 year-old niece, who is currently suffering extremely similar symptoms.  In early autumn she was diagnosed with 'some form of the herpes virus, maybe shingles', and after treatment, it seemed to go away.  In November, however, she was given the flu vaccination, and since then, she has had unexplained "scratches" appearing on her body - mainly arms and legs, but also on tummy and back, now on her face - which bleedand cause her great distress.  she also is in great pain - like your son - and cant stand baths or showers.  Please, was your son ever diagnosed?  Was there some medicine that helped him?  I am certain that the flu jab has triggered the herpes virus to react in her body, but no doctors or specialists appear to know what this condition is, and no-one will help us..  I wonder if you have any advice for us?
    Thank you so much for the info.  I am fighting Zoster sine Herpete (Shingles without the rash) right now.  Doctor prescribed Acyclovir and it made me so dizzy and nauseous that I can't take it.  
    Fortunately I do have Vit. C and Vit. B 12!  Going to take that now.  

I am so sorry that your niece is suffering in this way.  Have you tried putting oatmeal or milk in her bath.  It is quite soothing for chicken pox and possibly for shingles, too.
    Amlactin lotion comes to mind as it has healing properties that help children with several kinds of skin conditions.
     Please let us know if this helps and keep us posted on how she is doing.  Poor baby.
I had severe shingles pain around my bra line on my right side only. After a few days of severe pain with no relief I started to get nauseous and vomit. I got very dehydrated and finally went to the E.R. Luckily I had a good Dr. who diagnosed me as having shingles with NO rash. I was treated with 3 liters of I.V. solution for the dehydration, acyclovir, gabapentin, and tramadol for pain. It helped a lot. A few months later I started to have the awful pain return around the right side of my waist. Still no rash. I kept on the above treatment but the post herpetic neuralgia lasted a little over a year. I am pain free and hopes that pain will never return. For some reason hot soaks in the bath helped too.
I am nearly 84 - have HAD metastatic Prostate Cancer (from 2001) and severe AF (from 2005) Got over my cancer 2009 (literally) and last year had 2 Ablations (AVnRT & AF). So I was looking forward to a new life-span ahead. Suffered with Herpes Simplex from late teens and more recently from Zoster - including recurring bouts of shingles over the last 40 years. At first I used to have a mild rash with the shingles bouts - and which lasted actively up to about 6 days (maximum) each time. Then from about 30 years ago, even the rash hasn't appeared. My Shingles tended to take second place to the more serious maladies I was enduring.   But now - at a time I was feeling better every single day since my last Ablation in August 2013 - I have been suddenly blighted with Shingles attacks where the sort of incessant 'ambushing' stabbing pains become difficult to ignore - even though I have a very high pain threshold.
However 2 weeks ago, "The Daddy" of all Shingles attacks suddenly began - seemingly within the region of my Prostate (firstly even making me wonder if there was a recurrence of my Carcinoma) but which moved, first towards the inside of my thigh and finally settling at a place on the femur region - Midway between Hip and knee.
I have tried Gabapentin and Tramadol. Co-Dydramol - as well as 800 mg Ibuprofen (always on a full stomach - due to being on Warfarin)
I have had 5 sleepless nights and completely ruined my sleep pattern.
I am still very active and deeply involved in advising and comforting fellow Cancer sufferers.
I walk a minimum of 3 miles per day and also exercise on my treatmil and Cycle/rowing machine - a further hour every day.
So, I would say that for a man of my age, I am quite fit.
Now this stupid seemingly inexplicable Shingles Syndrome has blighted me; it is even painful at some times during exercise (the soreness of the local skin/tissue/muscle area is very tender)
Acyclovir is available here in the UK - but only people of age 70 OR 79 are eligible. I have asked if I can get vaccinated privately but the Manufacturers told me this was impossible at the moment because the whole production has been directed to the NHS (National Health Service!
So my options seem to be limited and at this stage, I am trying to find out just what the Physiology of this terrible blight is made of.
I will then research the subject (Just as I did for Cancer) and hope I come up with some relief for me - and then - for whoever wants to benefit.
I will never give up!
Ernstuk777
   Wow!  I am so sorry that Acyclovir is not available to you.  That seems so cruel to me.  (I found it makes me sick, so I can't take it).  I take Apis Mellifica and lemon water with cayenne to help me with the pain.  So far it is helping.
     Lachesis and rhus toxicodendron are also recommended for shingles.

I hope this information was helpful.
Wishing you the best.
I can't understand why Acyclovir is not available to you in the U.K. It is an anti-viral drug that seems to help. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some people get the rash or not and some people have more pain than others. We know it's a reactivation of the chicken pox virus and the virus is in the nerve roots of the spine. I'm beginning to wonder if it depends on the immune system as to whether we get a rash or not, severe pain, or recurring episodes of rash and pain. I hope you can get acyclovir to see if it helps you!
I know it has been a long time since you posted this, but I think I had similar symptoms and no rash.  Last fall, for about a month, I had migrating pain in my left leg.  It was terrible and doctors could not give me an explanation.  I could sleep maybe an hour even after taking a sleeping pill, and then the pain would wake me up again.  It was only in my left leg and hip and the pain was migrating, changing locations.  I have had the shingles shot, and cannot imagine what the pain would have been like if I had not had it.
Did your pain finally go away? That is the exact thing I am experiencing! Stopped taking the anti-viral because I never got a rash but the pain is just getting worse!  I would love to know if yours went away!
How were you diagnosed with zoster sin herpete? Blood test? or some other lab test.
Currently it is a self diagnosis. I mentioned it to my doctor at my initial visit and he laughed it off. I have since done some research and got more info on Zoster Sine Herpete. I called my doctor to see about a blood test an he said it doesn't work. I have a follow up visit with him tomorrow to tell him nothing has improved, if anything the tenderness and burning is worse. I am sure he'll be real helpful, NOT!!
Absolutely! I had undiagnosed shingles for 25 years. I never broke out. I finally had a doctor do a herpes zoster test. I had shingles bilaterally in every nerve bundle at the same time. The were so severe my spine was pulled 90 degrees to the left from scar tissue, for about 28 years. My diaphragm was entrapped in my chest, the lower floating rib on my right side was pulled inside the rib cage. I had scar tissue in every place on my body. I started on this oath when I was 27. My doctors expected me to commit suicide before I was 30 because of the pain. God helped me through this difficult time. I am now 61. Pain free with the exception of some post hermetic neruragia around my right knee.

I finally have the scar tissue broken down and with the help of a medical massage therapist I am almost recovered.

Here is the good news after 20-30 cases of shingles I had ten shingles vaccine. I have been shingles free for 3 1/2 years with no medication.

Run as fasr as you can and get the vaccine. Stop the possibility of reacurrance. Live and learn to be happy.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.