Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
sitting causes pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

sitting causes pain

I broke my spine 6 years ago. Nerve damage but not severed. Pain in my legs is mostly controlled by medication. I do physio every day. Now I can walk about 30 metres maximum with sticks. In the last 6 months, a new pain has developed. When I sit in the wheelchair, it builds up in about 10 minutes, and increases so much that I have to lie down. Its like a deep soreness, and is were the weight bears, i.e. my buttocks and thighs. I am slim and my weight is not a problem. I have tried all sorts of cushion. I think this pain is caused by a nerve somewhere. Im having an MRI scan next week. Nerve root inflammation has been suggested. Im trying acupuncture, and its possible this is beginning to have a slight effect, in that the duration I can sit has increased a few minutes. This new pain is baffling, as I cannot think of anything that would have brought it on.
I am extremely reluctant to suggest any remedy that has not been approved, however you may want to consult with your physician over the use of dilute medical grade DSMO, an extremely powerful anti-inflammatory. The is a wood derivative solvent and there is much information available on the internet. It can be very dangerous to use, especially if not medical grade, and applied carefully, because it can bring toxins into the blood stream. Also discuss the use of a transdermal lidocaine patch for no more than 12 hours a day. The next time you have an MRI, request a 3T MRI, which is the latest machine and able to provide the best view of nerve compression. They have few 3T machines, and unless you make a fuss they assign you a 1T machine. There is a qualitative difference in the results.   Surgical resolution, to include spinal fusion to keep the nerves from being compressed should be discussed with your physician.
Thanks for your reply. I have a regular review with a nerve specialist doctor soon. I postponed it so that the MRI results would be available for that review. He is not my regular GP. I can check in advance if the scan is a 3T type, as I did not know there were two types of machine before. The other points that you raised can be discussed with him.  Here is a new thought: Can any type of pain (not JUST the sitting soreness ) be brought on by a mental process? I mean, If I wake up in the morning expecting my legs to ache, might that bring on a pain that otherwise would not be present? sorry for such a deep question, but as a lot of pain signals are interpreted by the brain, there must be some sort of connection?  If that is so, then a mental process might be able to control pain, ( firewalkers?) and iyts better than drugs.