Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
small bump on 4 year old's penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

small bump on 4 year old's penis

Hi! I am new here, just today, but would like to ask a question.  I noticed a few weeks ago that my four year old had "discovered" his penis.  We do not exactly discourage that behavior, but nor do we make it a "nasty" thing to do. Anyway, I have been telling him to leave it alone, and, he minds (most of the time). But, today, he told me it hurt.  So, I told him we would put medicine on it. (My son believes that vaseline is "magic medicine") :) So, I had him lay down and I pulled down his underwear and noticed a small, maybe 1/2 in mobile mass on the side of his penis near the head. It is red and irritated.  I am not sure if the mass is causing the redness or if he is causing the redness by touching. There is not, at this time, any white material, pus, fever, frequent urination (I don't think, not sure what is normal), or anything else out of the norm.  He does have a compromised immune system, but has only had whooping cough and H1N1, both in January. I will be taking him to the doctor later today or tomorrow, but just wanted to maybe get some thoughts if anyone had any and would like to share? Thanks so much in advance.
yes take him the bump can appear from him keep touchin it or him sittin on the floor or his penis touchin the seat but take care of that
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If the bump is red and painful, it can be a boil, an inflamed sebaceous cyst or infection of the head of penis. Frequent handling could have injured some blood vessels causing a hematoma which could have got infected It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Take him to his pediatrician.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks so much for your help!  Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but we have been on a series of Septra and Augmentin since I posted.  I took him the same day.  Doc was thinking the same thing, sebaceous cyst, staph infection, or some other type of infection.  So, we have been giving anti's and it seems to be going away.  Again, thank you so much for replying.  I have never been here before, but I certainly will return. Ya'll have a great day!