Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
small white bumps inside lower lip, under tongue and roof of mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

4129211?1237967875
I've had these little white bumps under my tongue, on the roof of my mouth towards the back and on the inside of my lower lip for about a year and a half. They do not hurt. They are uncomfortable as my mouth feels rough using my tongue. They just appeared one day. I have been going to many specialist in Vancouver over the past year and a half and have stumped them all so far. I've had WBC, RBC, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit,MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW, Platelet count, Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils, Cholesterol, Triglyceride, HDL, Ratio T chol:HDL, LDL chol, Glucose fasting, ESR, Albumin, Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta, Gamma, Pattern, TSH, Glucose random,C Reactive protein, HIV serology and Rapid plasma regain blood tests. These tests were done over 3 visits and 3 months. All results were in the normal range. I've also had multiple swabs and scrapings of the little white bunps. Each time I'm told that whatever it is, it could not be grown but under the microscope, it appears to be yeast. I've been on Nystatin, Clotrimazole lozenges and Fluconazole to no avail.
Most recently I've had a biopsy done from under my tongue. The biopsy samples were sent for viewing under a uscope and for growing. As with the swabs and scrapings, they could not grow anything. I was shown the slides of the biopsy samples. The Dr. still thinks that the dots are yeast. It appears that during the cutting of the biopsy, some of the “yeast” was pushed into the lower tissue. Looking at the slides, he said that it does appear to be yeast but not a common strain. Normally the yeast has a couple of arms but the yeast I have has many and is similar to a bunch of grapes. My body does not see it as foreign and is not attacking it. The next step is for my Dr. to make an appointment with a microbiologist that specializes in yeast. My Dr. will show the slides and hopefully they can identify the strain in order to determine the drug to eliminate it.
I brush these bumps off 2 times per day when I brush my teeth. I can remove about 80% of it on my lower lip and under my tongue. I can only remove about 10% of it on the roof of my mouth as it is too far back.
I don't know if there is any connection but this started about 2 weeks after having some dental work done. I still have a cracked tooth but my dentist said that it is very small and if it doesn't bother me too much, to leave it for now.
I've uploaded a couple of pics. Any ideas as to what this could be? Is it a type of yeast?
Thanks.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
These small white bumps could be due to dry mouth as in Sjogren’s syndrome. It could be just raised mucosal papillae and not anything serious. If you are a smoker or if you eat very spicy food or if you take alcohol then also these can appear.
Another possibility is GERD or acid reflux causing irritation inside the mouth.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

What about Fordice Granules---This is what my dentist has shown me (internet) and told me I have--Looks alot like yours-However they do not scrap off
Thanks doctornee and padro46 for your suggestions.
I originally posted this on Mar 25th and had your suggestions of Fordice, Sjogren's Syndrome and GERD. Thanks!! I've asked my doctor about the first 2 and he is 100% sure I do not have those. I do not have the symptoms of GERD.
The roughness is occuring in my throat occasionally now. It makes me cough. A day or 2 later, it subsides a little only to return again.
If you or anyone has any other ideas, I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,
candida albicans?  try garlic and goldenseal, yeast diet. have same thing.i think.  nicky
Thanks for your suggestion.
Several doctors thought it was candida too but the nystatin, clotrimazole and fluconazole had absolutely no effect. The Dr. at the infectious disease center said that it did not look like candida but more like a virus. Unfortunatelly they were not able to diagnose more definitively.
Thanks again.
Hi! Did you ever figure this out? I have them too! I'd like to get rid of them, because they're annoying!