spegma
For the past 3 days, my foreskin has been itching. I can tolerate the itching but I noticed I had spegma on the glans of my penis. I had never noticed this before. I went to the doctor today and showed what i had an she said it was a result of poor hygene. Also, the right of my foreskin has been a little reddish. This all started happening after I bought a body wash. Could the body wash be doing this harm or is it something else.  By the way, I am uncircumcised and I'm a virgin. Would you have any clue on how to get rid of the spegma ?

'Smegma, is a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture, and can accumulate under the foreskin of males and within the vulva of females. It has a characteristic strong odor. Smegma is common to all mammals, male and female.

Mycobacterium smegmatis is the characteristic bacterium involved in smegma production, and is generally thought to form smegma from epidermal secretions.

The subpreputial moisture keeps the glans moist and may lubricate the movement of the foreskin. However, if allowed to accumulate and decay in the foreskin cavity it can provide an ideal medium for potentially pathogenic bacteria to colonize;[3] current medical opinion is that allowing smegma to accumulate freely is unhealthy. Accumulation of smegma can cause or aggravate a variety of irritations known as balanitis.

Preventing accumulation is best done by rinsing the area with warm water/ need to gently wash away excess with water.

Hope this helped, you may get more information at; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smegma

Best regards
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.