splinter type things under toe nails
I was wondering if you can tell me why I would have what it looks like to be is splinters under both of my big toenails,I had thought it was due to a heart condition but to my knowledge I do not have any heart problems. Are there any tests I can get or is it something I shouldnt worry about?
Splinter-like streaks in the nails of the fingers and toes are lines of blood caused by micro hemmorhages in the nail bed under the nail.  I get them all the time.  Generally they can be a symptom of heart disease, but more often they are caused by trauma of some kind to the finger or toe.  You may stub your toes, or have tight shoes that put pressure on the nail bed causing the tiny veins to rupture causing blood to seep out.  Shuffling when you walk is another common cause of splinters in the toenails.  People who dance, rock climb, ballet, etc. get them.  There isn't anything you can do about them.  My doctor says when I start getting splinters in several fingers/toes at the same time, then call for a cardiac test, otherwise don't worry.  There are sites out there for "splinter hemmorhage" if you want more information.
thankyou for responding, i will check out that sight, as far as i know i do not have any heart disease bt i do have several splinter things in each of my big toe nails, they are always there, i will ask my dr about heart problems in the future.
I tried searching but couldnt find any sight talking about this.
Try Web MD
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.