Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
stabbing, burning nerve pain in breast

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

stabbing, burning nerve pain in breast

I am a healthy 25 year old woman. However, for atleast the past 3 years I have been having the worst pains imaginable in my left breast. When the weather is cold I will get a sharp cold burning stabbing pain through my left nipple. The left side of my left breast near the armpit will also be extremely sensitive to touch. The pain is so intense and unbearable that my gyno has prescribed me 500mg of hydrocodone. I've been to the doctor several times about it but nothing ever comes from it. She first thought it was fibrocystic breast tissue. So she changed my birth control to a diurectic. Nothing changed. I've had sonograms but there is no lump. There is no pattern to the pain either. It has nothing to do with my hormones.

I'm pretty much lost. My father, who is in the medical field, believes it to be nerve related. When I read about nerve pain, it hit my symptoms to a tee.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.
1 Comment

This could be due to fibrocystic breast disease.

'Some simple measures, such as adequate support of the breasts and perhaps wearing a bra at night, may provide relief from many of the symptoms of fibrocystic breast condition. Antiinflammatory medications, including acetaminophen and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications (NSAIDs), often reduce the breast pain significantly.

There are reports suggesting that a variety of vitamins may be of benefit in relieving the symptoms of fibrocystic breast condition. These have included vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6 and vitamin A, among others. '

You could read more about this at -

http://www.medicinenet.com/fibrocystic_breast_condition/page7.htm#24whatare

Has a chest xray been done to rule out any rib fracture, chest infection, or air in the pleural space?

There could be several causes of the symptoms you are having including a muscle pull, injury or trauma at the site, chest infection, etc.

Do you have any associated symptoms?

You should apply some local pain relief medications, take some oral pain relief medications, maintain a proper posture throughout the day, try some warm compresses.

You could take some antireflux antinausea medications and see if they help with your symptoms - this could be pain due to reflux or GERD.

Consult the doctor if the symptoms persist and discuss whether you need to get any investigations including a chest xray and ECG done.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Regards.
A related discussion, Breast pain was started.