Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
strong neck shooting pain in to brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

strong neck shooting pain in to brain

i have a pain on the left side towards the back of my neck it is a sharp shooting intense pain that goes up into my "brain" i feel a pressure of some sort on my neck in that spot where the pain starts to shoot from, it feels like there might be something there when i touch it because it feels different then the right side and my vision has been getting bad fast and headaches as well. the pain is a 8 on a scale and it shoots then stops then shoots then stops on and off day and night it will go away for a few hrs here and there but then poof its back it feels lie a lightening bolt shooting it hurts really bad i have tried asp. and ibuprofen but nothing helps what do i do i have no ins in college full time single person...
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will do wonders. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!
Go to the Doctor,your haaving pain in the brain go in immediatly.do not wait.Go into Emergency if necessary.Ask ypur Doctor for a Neurologist.you probably won't have to ask but do it.God Bless you and lots of prayer and rest.Yudon't want this to affect your schooling or thinking.