swelling and joint pain
About two weeks ago I woke up with hands so swollen that I could not close them. My knees and feet were also swollen. The joints were very sore as well. There is a burning sensation that runs from my back up my shoulders and down to my hands. I was tested for arthritis as well as gout and both came back negative. The pain has subsided significantly but the swelling is still there as well as tingling sensations in my hands and arms. My finger with the exception of my thumbs and first fingers are numb. They ruled out carpal tunnel.

I work as a phlebotomist where I come in contact with people who have or have had 5ths disease and am wondering could this be what I might possibly have? The physicians assistant I work with tells me it's not possible because it would have to be blood on blood contact for me to catch it.

I thought my 3 yr old had it when he suddenly developed rosy cheeks and then broke out in a rash from head to toe four days later. His pediatrician however did a strep test and informed me it was in fact strep. Any information would be very helpful.
My friend is having a similar problem.  Read Nopolis23's post on swelling of hands, legs, arms.  Sorry I can't be of any help.

After I posted my problem on here I took my son to his pediatrician to some vaccinations. She notice the swelling in my hands, wrists and arms. I told her about my lack of sleep and all the pain I have been going through as well as the swelling in my feet and knees. After she had me tested I found out today that I indeed have 5th's disease or the Parvo Virus. Which is interesting because until recently I thought only dogs get Parvo.

The main concern before this was that I may have Lupus, because it also causes swelling in those regions and sore joints.

Your friend should ask to be tested for the Parvo Virus. I know about the swelling and pain so bad at night that you cannot sleep. I slept sitting up with the front of my head resting on my couch for over a week and even that didn't always work.

I do hope your friend finds out what the problem is and that she is better soon. She will be in my prayers
I have swollen right hand.It cannot be closed.My knees ache in the joint area.My right foot aches in the toes so I can barely walk and my legs feet and hands go numb. Somebody please help me find out what this is.
A related discussion, whats wrong???? was started.