Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swelling in ankle
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

swelling in ankle

I've had swelling with the right ankle and calf for about 7 months.I've been to the doctor several times and he prescribed furesomide 20mg,it stayed the same so he changed the dose to 40mg.My ankles are still pretty much the same.All along I have been on a low sodium diet,I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 150 lbs,I eat healthy,exercise,and drink at least 8 glasses of water,I'm 40 and I'm getting very frustrated with this swelling.What could be causing this? Also I want to know if I should see a speciallist of some kind.I want some answers.What kind of tests could be done?

Thank You For Your Help
dee4011
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,

Common causes of ankle swelling include  traumatic injury such as an ankle sprain or a fracture,gout (accumulation of uric acid crystals within the fluid of your ankle),ankle arthritis,infection (cellulitis or septic joint), problems with blood flow like DVT(can impair normal circulation and lead to swelling around the ankles),pregnancy, obesity, and varicose veins.

Edema can be caused by a serious condition of the kidney, heart, liver or blood vessels, but many other factors can contribute to its onset, including: Eating a poor diet high in salt and carbohydrates , abusing laxatives,diuretics, drugs, sodium retention, varicose veins, allergic reactions and neuromuscular disorders.
Elevate the effected leg and  wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.

Also indulge in moderate exercises like walking, avoid prolonged standing and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.Decrease salt intake and drink plenty of water.

If the edema persists or continues to worsen, please consult a physician.
Hope this information helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank