Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swelling on back of head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

swelling on back of head

on the right side of the back of my head, i have been getting bumps that hurt alot. they go away for a day or two, then come back. but this time i noticed that the right side of the back of my head, toward the neck, around the base of the skull, is swollen.  it hurts really bad, ecspecially if i touch it, and i have been having some headaches.

often my head feels heavy on that side and i am finding myself leaning my head more towards the right to take the pressure and the pain away.

please advise.
1 Comment

Painful swelling on the back and side of head can be due to muscle spasm of the occipitalis and other muscles of the scalp.Did you injure your head recently?Can also lead to muscle spasm.The spasm can be so intense that the muscle will feel bruised or sore even after the tension has been released.These muscle spasms then cause primary headache like tension headache.Apply alternate warm and cold compresses,elevate the head while sleeping and take some over the counter NSAID analgesic(pain reliever) like ibuprofen(advil/motrin) or acetaminophen.Application of muscle relaxant to the part is also helpful.

Other possibility is of swollen lymph nodes. . Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection . In some cases, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers and warm compresses may be all you need. For more serious cases, treatment of swollen lymph nodes involves treating the underlying cause usually infections.

It can also be due to temporal arteritis(an inflammatory disease of blood vessels (most commonly large and medium arteries of the head).

I feel that if even after intake of OTC pain killers and compresses(warm and cold),the symptoms persist,then the above two conditions have to be ruled out.Sometimes CT head may also be required.Pls consult a neurologist for that.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.