Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swollen lymph nodes & itchy scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

swollen lymph nodes & itchy scalp

A few days ago I noticed a swollen lymph node on the back of my head, by the end of the day there were 3 and the nodes on my neck starting swelling. Also my scalp is very itchy

I went to the doctor yesterday and she said it was an ear infection?? My ear does not even hurt!
I am concerned because of how quicky everything swelled. She gave me AVELOX to take for 6 days.

Can an ear infection cause all of this and not even hurt itself?
1 Comment

The purpose of lymph nodes is to remove bacteria, foreign material and cell debris from the lymphatic system. Sometimes the number of microorganisms entering the lymph node is so great that the node cannot detoxify the germs the way that it should. When this occurs the node becomes infected.

Since you’ve got the complaint of itchy scalp, you may be suffering from Tinea Capitis or Ringworm (fungal infection) of the scalp. Ringworm is a fungal skin infection that occurs on the face, body or scalp. The symptoms of Ringworm or Tinea Capitis include a dry itchy scalp, scaling, crusting, inflamed nodules, hair loss and tender enlarged lymph nodes on the neck.  Because of the scratching that is involved with the condition it can become secondarily infected with a bacterial infection.

An outer ear infection can also result in the enlargement of the lymph nodes although in majority of the people, there are symptoms of pain in the ear.

I think in your case it could be fungal scalp infection and secondary bacterial infection. Please continue to take the prescribed antibiotic as it may help and I’ll advise you take an opinion of a skin specialist also to rule out a fungal infection of the scalp.

I hope that helps. Pl do keep me posted.

Kind Rgds