Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swollen lymph nodes, normal CBC, high C-reactive protein, still no answ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

swollen lymph nodes, normal CBC, high C-reactive protein, still no answer!

I'll do my best to be brief:
28 y.o. female. Have had painless, swollen glands (neck, armpits and groin) for nearly 8 weeks and a low grade fever, loss of appetite and fatigue (no muscle pain)for over 3 weeks. Have had 2 CBCs  both times evertything was normal and constant (including normal WBCs). Also normal: thyriod, strep, urinalysis and culture, liver, kidneys, glucose. Sedimentation rate was "fair" according to the doctor but not ideal. EBV (monospot) says I have already had mono and it is not active. Lupus antigens and Parvovirus were negative. C reactive protein was "extremely high". This is an indication of inflammationand sometimes malignancy. She suggested that I see a rheumatologist thinking that I have RA. I asked for a chest x-ray to see my internal glands. She complied. I would much rather eliminate cancers and have a rheumatoid factor pulled before I wait in line for the specialist... I am not in any pain, just a bit tired and I frequently get flushed with fever. Doctor has not given me numbers on these panels because I am a nursing student and she knows I will come flying back at her with umpteen tests to do. Anyone else have any insight? Hopefully the chest x ray will be back today. I am not afraid of what the outcome is. You get sick, you fight, you get better. I just want answers... getting impatient.

Thanks for your help!!!
I am very surprised no one had done a CT scan or wanted to get e biopsy. The only way to rule out cancer is for a biopsy, thats where I am right now. I too have swollen glands not going away and it is a cause for concern they told me it is possible lymphoma or leukemia. I suggest you ask for a biopsy and not wait any longer. an xray wont give you a diagnosis or a peace of mind. You can ask for a FNA so that you wont have to go through surgery that is what I was going to ask for. Best of luck and keep posted if you find out anything. I also work in a hospital and I think we are hypochondriacs being we work in the profession but it is better to find out early if you can.
I have a friend who is 37 and a mother of three,  had a sudden onset of a swollen stomach over night. I thought she was pranking me when she sent the picture.  She had to wear her 3rd trimester prenanacy clothes to the doctors the next day.  She also had gained 13 pounds of water weight within 24 hours.  She had everything come back normal except her crp levels. They were at 45! This is off the charts.  She had a colonoscopy and endo, nothing showed up blockage wise although biopsy results aren't back yet.  Her doctor didn't mention even once about the link to heart disease. Nore did the endo people stating that is baffeled them.  From what I gather there is a HUGE link to cardio disfunction or plaques. She was tested for diabetes AND thyroid issues, to no avail.  My friend's father passed away in his 50's from heart disease and diabetes and heart disease runs in her family.  Why would they not even discuss this possibility with her?  They tested for  Rhumatoid Arthritis, nothing! But not even the dicussion of heart issues.  I can understand the process of elimination but also understand that finding out info like the heart disorders linked to this crp level should have been at least mentioned by her doctror  instead of slapping her in the face by a webpage - I'm sure it sounds like I am venting but mainly hugely concerned.