swollen lymph nodes
For the past year the lymph nodes under my chin have constantly been swollen.  In the past four months I have been constantly sick.  The doctor would give me antibiotics and I would get better, but when I was through with the medication within a couple of days I was back to being sick.  I am a teacher and contributed my sickness to being around my students with their germs.  I began getting concerned with the pain in my neck went to my jaw and then to my ear.  I finally went to the doctor with a list of all of my concerns and he looked in at my throat and asked if I had my tonsils out.  I told him yes when I was seven years old.  He then told me he believed my left tonsil had grown back and referred me to an ENT.  When I went to the ENT he agreed with my primary doctor about the tonsil.  I then explained that my lymph nodes were sore to the touch and in the past month the lymph nodes under my arms would sometimes become swollen and ache to the point my breasts would hurt.  He ordered a CT scan of my head and throat that showed the "tonsil" to be a little larger than a normal tonsil.  He asked me if I had any unexplained weight loss and I told him no.  I also told him of lymphoma being in my family history (grandmother and father having lymphoma).  He told me that he believed the "tonsil" needed to be removed.  In the past week the pain has increased and so has the fatigue.  I am scheduled for surgery for this Friday.  I am concerned that he has not done any bloodwork.  When I meet with him on Tuesday should I insist on blood work being done?  Thanks for any reply!

Lymph nodes are small (1-2cm) and bean-shaped nodes. they are very important to your body keeping you healthy. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, autoimmune diseases,benign tumors and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

What is the constituency of the swollen lymph nodes? Soft nodes are most likely infection or inflammation, firm but rubbery nodes could be lymphoma and rock hard nodes are more likely from some other type of metastatic cancer not lymphoma.

In my opinion,you should get these lymph node biopsied by FNAC to confirm a diagnosis for their swelling and then proceed for any treatment.
Treatment for inflamed, swollen lymph nodes, also known as lymphadenitis, depends on the cause.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Several doctors and imaging tests have shown constant, growing, thickenings in my left axilla and clavicle regions, occasionally referred to as swollen lymph nodes without infection.  This has been getting worse over the past few years. I am just now getting a surgical (hopefully) removal of the clavicle growth, friday-Jan. 9. I have heard repeatedly, that doctors do not like to mess with these areas because the risk of infection and the concentration of nerves and muscles is greater than the rest of the body. Hopefully you are insured. Because that will increase the quality and quantity of care you get. I am a full time, returning student and part time receptionist without minor children living at home. Therefor I do not qualify for medicaid and cannot afford medical insurance. Sincerely the best of luck and wishes for you. Becky64
help me my daughter is only 7 but last 12 mths unwell quite often then just b4 xmas she got very ill also night sweats fever and itching on her back and legs docs referrred her to a specialist who says the lymph node is a deep cervical lymph node over an inch in size told docs of the sweats but not of the itching he will remove the node on the right side of her neck in 5 weeks and send for biopsy my worry was i looked on net and saw about the itching that it could be lyphnoma what does everyone else think help me also my daughter been pale faced now for weeks and weeks
I've had swollen lymph nodes on same spot on both sides of the neck, with pain on left side. I've had them about 9 months. I've noticed i hurt more later in the day. Also i've had some come up in my collar bone area on left side. It feels like something foreign in my neck. I went to internal medicine dr. said blood test negative and Mri ok that was 5 months ago. the pain on left side is terrible sometimes. im lost! any advice?