Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swollen neck lymph nodes for over a year

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I'm a 22 year old female and I've had swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck for a over a year now. They never hurt but they seem larger whenever I wake up in the morning or from a nap. I went to the doctor a good ways back and he suggested that I see an Ear & Throat specialist. Actually that was one of the only times I've been to the doctor in my life that I can remember. Anyway, I was not about to pay another bill just so those doctors can refer me to another set of doctors. Instead I just waited it out to see if the swelling would go down. It's been a whole year now and my lymph nodes are still swollen. They do not cause me any pain. However, I do have other symptons that have gotten worse over the past few months that may or may not be related. For example: extreme fatigue, abdomen pain, breast rash and pain, insomnia, sensitivity to light and sound, joint stiffness, itchy skin rashes in various places, pain behind left jaw when chewing, sensitivity to the sun and heat, etc. Does anyone know what disease I could possibly have, or am I just being paranoid? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and God Bless!
Hi don't think your paranoid at all I would go and see an ent dr though. Ive got a swollen lymph node and also have alot of the other symptoms youve mention plus quite a lot more . I don;t have aproper dx myself apart from some sort of neuro disorder /gait disorder unknown cause  but have been referred to ent for the the lump to be evaluated and I would suggest you go and see an ent docter . Best of luck . Crystaly

I think your physician should rule out autoimmune diseases and/or consider doing a biopsy of your lymph node.

Good luck.
Agree complelty with plategal.  Go to an endocrine doctor also and make them do a complete panel of blood work.  So many things can cause each thing at once and its best to start ruling things out and checking automimmune diseases and getting loads of blood work is the best place.
Hi. I just wanted you to know I have had a swollen gland on the side of my neck for almost nine weeks. I never ever get sick either. I am scheduled for a biopsy next Wednesday, so I guess we'll see what's up. If you have been through all the posts on here you'll see a few of us are having gland problems and are terrified. Hopefully it's just something stupid and we are all fine. I don't have any reassuring words for you, just know you aren't alone in your fear.

The fear of not knowing is worse than actually doing something. These days you HAVE to be pro-active when it comes to your health and if you do have an autoimmune or other illness, the sooner that you get treated... the better. You will feel so much better after your visit and the tests you need.

Hey, thanks for the responses everyone!

I'm a little scared to go to the doctor because I've only been once in the past 10 years, and the last time they did blood work, they said I was really anemic but fine other than that. I'm sure things have changed but I'm not one to just get up and go to the doctor for every little thing. However, I know the only way I'll have peace of mind is by doing so. I should probably mention that I never get sick..I couldn't tell you the last time I had a cold or the flu. I did have a sinus infection for the first time in my life several weeks ago but it gradually cleared up on it's own. By the way, I forgot to mention that I also have a knot on the bone behind my lower right ear. It's most likely another swollen lymph node and like the other one mentioned before, it's painless and been there for a year or so.

I think I might be a hypochondriac or just really paranoid...or at least I'm telling myself that because I really don't want to go to the doctor! Please help someone...
could be a lymphoma, go to the doctor and have a biopsy!
You mentioned that you have a small knot on the bone below your ear.  Is it hard and immovable?  If so, it could be something such as a benign tumor of your parotid gland and not a lymph node at all...