swollen salivary glands
For a week now the tissue under my tongue has been swollen. I've read that you cant see salivary gland but ive always had 2 pin holes under my tongue where saliva came from. Maybe those are just ducts and not salivary glands i see. Either way it started the day after thanksgiving. The night before thanksgiving i went out drinking with friends. I drank way too much and thanksgiving day i spent laying in bed vomiting a lot. I felt pretty lousy the whole night and the next morning still felt bad, though more as if i were getting a Cold than from alcohol. The next few days i felt ok except for my mouth. Lips were chapped and mouth felt, not fresh, a small sore throat which went away, and a small sore on the side of my tongue. when examining the sore i realized it was caused from my tongue rubbung against my teeth due to it being elevated because the swollen tissue underneath. Examining it more i noticed depending on how i moved my tongue i would involuntarily "gleek" (squirting saliva). The ducts also seem to be red, however they may have always been. I drink a lot of water though when it started i was extremely dehydrated from being sick from alcohol. Ive been rinsing everynight with hydrogen paroxide. I also just developed what seems to be a kanker soar/ulser at the top of my gum where it meets the inside of my cheeck. I smoke regularly and don't drink alcohol at all nor do i have habbits that involve me putting anything in my mouth. i know this is a long one but i hope i can get some help without searching site after site and finding things telling me im going to die. thanks. -don
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you probably have is a blocked and infected salivary gland under the tongue. This is causing pain and swelling in the surrounding areas too. This will need to be drained. It can also be an infected cyst. Again this would need to be drained.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
Doctornee is on the money.

I would add that this is a very vascular area, with easy connections to the bloodstream and it is important to have this addressed before the infection enters the bloodstream and becomes systemic. That is the bad news bears. You have turned a minor probem into a life-threatening emergency.

Will this happen?

Maybe yes, Maybe no.

Like Clint Eastwood says: "Are you feeling lucky?"

The drainage (if they decide it is needed) will not be painful. You will be injected with a local anaesthetic (licocaine).

If uou have a small infection and drink alcohol, the immune system shuts down.

To cut to the chase, this situation needs to be addressed immediately. Not three days from now.