Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
swollen salivary glands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

swollen salivary glands

I have been working on recovering from bulimia/anorexia, which I've suffered from for 15 years, and I have been in numerous treatments both in and out patient. I no longer suffer with anorexia but still have issues with bulimia but have improved immensely in many ways. However, I do still binge/purge once a day but do not allow myself to do it more than that on any day. While I am working on ridding myself of this disease, is there anything I can do to get rid of my swollen glands, aka chipmunk cheeks, jowels? I've tried anti-inflamatory meds. and have been on antibiotics but neither have made a bit of a difference. Any suggestions?

This discussion is related to swollen salivary gland, lump on jawline / infection?.
Yes. You can stop binging and purging altogether, once and for all.
I went through the same thing. I know how difficult it is to fight that voice in your head that tries to justify binging/purging once a day, or once a week, or "for the last time". Your glands become accustomed to these habits and eventually it doesn't take much for them swell as opposed to someone who's never dealt with bulimia. Think of it this way: if there were no side effects from purging, you might end up doing it forever, right? Look at your swollen glands as a blessing. It will force you to recover once and for all and get on with your life.
It is so great that you have improved. That is definitely something to be proud of. Now think of how incredible it would feel to be rid of this self-destructive habit for good! You will feel empowered. Strong. Free.
Remind yourself of this whenever you feel the temptation to binge and purge. This is what got me through it. Replace the time you'd normally set aside to B&P with something else that makes you feel good, like listening to music or doing something crafty. The urges will be loud and obnoxious at first, but it gets so much easier with each day. And seeing the swelling of your face get better and better with each day will further motivate you to keep pushing.
You can do this girl!

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to send me a message.

Brittany
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Salivary glands can swell in Sjogren’s syndrome, infection, stone blocking their duct, or dry mouth. If only the cheek are swelling, maybe there is infection. Consult a doctor. You may need antibiotics.Take care!